Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

when i open system restore i get a blank screen

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's run the repair then...we'll have to remove the SP2 to do this one. I might make a suggestion at this point. Because the retail disk you have does not contain the SP2 update, Download This Version for IT professionals and save it to your hard drive. Burn it to a cd and run it that way (you may have to open the folder and double click the icon to start the install)

That said, click Start, then Run, type c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe in the Run box, and then click "OK". When the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Removal Wizard starts, click "Next". Follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP2.

Once SP2 has been removed, Run this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 28 November 2005 - 08:44 AM.

Advertisements

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
hi wannabe1 i get this error when i type the location...........c:\windows\$ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst refers to a location that is unavailable.....it could be on a hard drive on this computer or a network.......check to make sure the disk is properly inserted or that you are connected to the internet or your network and then try again.....if it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Holy cow this machine is stubborn! Reminds me of....well...me! :)

Click Start, then Search, and click on the link for "All files and folders". In the top box, type spuninst.exe In the "Look in" menu, select Hard Drives C:, then click the arrow thingie next to "More advanced options and put checks in the top three checkboxes. Click "Search".

If the uninstaller is there, it will be packed in among a kazillion files...look in the list for $NTServicePackU...

Let me know if it is found and if there are a kazillion similar files with it. We may have stumbled on your problem here...bare with me... :tazz:

wannabe1

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1............only prob is search wont run for me either i get a blank screen on that to

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Help and Support, is it blank?

wannabe1

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
help and support wont even open

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
wannabe1 i dont know if this is any good but a friend of mine just told me he went to a site only prob is he cant rember the url but he told me he seen a solution to opening system restore .....help and support and other programs he said u type at run 3 numbered files one at a time pressing enter after each one have u ever heard of anything like that

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, I have heard of something like that, but I think we've got a few registry problems to work out first.

Download the attached file. It's in notepad and is in .txt format. Once it is on the desktop, open it, click on "File" in the toolbar and choose "Save as" In the Save As window, change the file name to sysres.reg and click "Save"

Right click on the file on the desktop and select "Merge" answer "Yes" to the prompt.

Reboot and try to access System Restore.

wannabe1

Attached Files

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
i downloaded the file but its on my desk top as a web site

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
i got it it looks like a registery key i saved it as sysres.reg........right clicked it and pressed merge re booted and still a blank screen

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download the SP2 version I listed in a previous post, close all open windows, and see if it will install. I'm thinking that a lot of your problems have something to do with what SP2 has written to the registry and now is corrupt so the registry keys are no longer valid. We need to either uninstall or install SP2...I don't think it will matter which it is.

Service Pack 2

Burn this to a cd and you'll not have to download this monster ever again...

wannabe1

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
i have sp2 here on a cd when i begin installing just follow the on screen instrustions or do i have to install it to a certain location

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It will have to install to it's default location just as in a normal installation. Just follow the prompts. As a side, I'v found some interesting information on some recent updates that are doing wierd things to XP...researching.

wannabe1

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
i tried to install sp2 but less than half way through it gave me an error that it couldnt install because of a corrupt file cant continue ...........

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did it say what file was corrupt?