Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer upgrade - Help needed.

• Please log in to reply

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Actually warriorscot after looking at that barebones... all i can say is

WOW - its looks amazing!
Really it does. I understand what fsb is trying to say about ungrades being hard. But what else would i need to update? when my stuff gets down i can replace the existing CPU & GFX & RAM with better more update things? b/c the mobo is very flexible with new innovations in technology. and everything like that.

Edited by ecnalav, 07 December 2005 - 01:56 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you like the barebones get it there is no rush to build a new system you never know you could get some good deals after christmas, and you will probably have more money as well.

Get what you want, its not something worth worrying about i would say to you think about it for a couple of days i know how easy it is to get caught up in the excitement of buying a new computer.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Maybe, but that graphics card is slower. If I put in a cheaper card like you have, then here's what we have:

Connect 3D X800GTO 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E DVI VIVO 096732 74 £97.38

Antec TruePower II 480W PSU - With Blue LED 090618 6 £55.33

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium skt939 nForce4 Gigabit Ethernet Firewire 8channel audio 098587 57 £99.16

Gigabyte (GH-PCU31-VH) 3D Cooler-Ultra 090448 8 £27.30

Samsung SM913N 19" TFT 8ms 700:1 (1280x1024) Monitor - Silver & Black (3 Years On Site Warranty) 083914 342 £158.99

£621.81----->56p cheaper, baby

again, warriorscot is right in encouraging you to get what you want. More power to you if looks are really more important.

Edited by fsb1284, 07 December 2005 - 02:01 PM.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Actually warriorscot after looking at that barebones... all i can say is

WOW - its looks amazing!
Really it does. I understand what fsb is trying to say about ungrades being hard. But what else would i need to update? when my stuff gets down i can replace the existing CPU & GFX & RAM with better more update things? b/c the mobo is very flexible with new innovations in technology. and everything like that.

yes i am getting caught up in the moment! Im getting really excited!

I think i might go with the barebones one. Its look fantastic and after looking at all its features on the offical website! wow!

http://global.shuttl...ebone/SN25P.asp

Check it out for youselves ^ ^ ^

It seems perfect if i buy what you saud WS will it be powerfull? or around the same as my current system ? Am i gonna get some power out of here for gaming and everything?

Edited by ecnalav, 07 December 2005 - 02:05 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It is good barebones have alot of features that full size PCs dont(wish they did have it). You arent looking at any decrease in performance in the barebones though so you have no worries on that front, cooling should be good enough for you to overclock a little if you really want, the lower speed venices re great overclockers and still stay cool.

You are still forgeting VAT

Edited by warriorscot, 07 December 2005 - 02:07 PM.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ever consider what you'll have to do to watch TV on this thing? If you want to, you'd better be certain to get a good graphics card like an ATi all-in-wonder- you'll have no room for anything else!

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok, FANTASTIC

Ill give it a couple of days, and see about getting some of it ordered

Bye bye all my christmas & b-day money!

b-day = 30 jan. so hopefully ill have enouh to pay for it.

WS - could you just give me a final summary on everything i will be getting... so its easier to view.

And FSB than you so much for helping me these past few days, youve been a real help. I really appreciate both of you spending ur time to help me out. Your great guys!

I dont need to watch TV on it. I have one in my room also - so its not really a problem FSB. I dont want any extras in it. thats why i dont need a big PC. All i ned is the essisials .... GREAT GFX PSU PCU HDD CD DVD RW DRIVE

Edited by ecnalav, 07 December 2005 - 02:11 PM.

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Actually, that price included VAT. Look here

Just buy everything warriorscot mentioned.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah everything you need is there, come back nearer when you are going to buy it and we will go through it again prices will have gone down a bit, ATI should have released another generation of cards by then if they follow the roadmap they have given out(they dont always follow it mind you.)

Cd and dvd wise i love my LG drive best ive ever had anything lite on or sony is also top quality.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
well its going to be soon. Im gettin it ALL for christmas... so maybe a few days 1 week maybe and ill be back to finalise everything. Ill drag up this topic again to do it all. But all i want is a basic check list of everything, make sur eits all compatible, ect.ect.

http://www.geekstogo...pe=post&id=5126

Ill get all them ?

PSU ? do i ned one or is the one that come with do the job ?

Will i need to install Windows XP 64bit

And will it be easy for me to install and put together as i have no experience of bulding a computer. or very little.

And will i be able to put my current HDD & ram into it ?

Edited by ecnalav, 07 December 2005 - 02:33 PM.

Advertisements

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
???

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Right im ready to clarify everything. Get it ordered and make sure its compatible, easy, good, everything like that. ok ?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would read the pinned topic in the system building forum there is a good link to a building guide, you can usually download manuals from the manufacturers sites its worth while to download and read them first.

The PSU in that shuttle should be sufficient for the system thats why i picked that particular one for you.

You wont need 64 bit windows and i wouldnt reccomend it either you would gain no advantage and a few problems. It shouldnt be hard to put together but shuttles can slightly more complicated and difficult to put together than a standard desktop but the mobo should allready be fitted and that is the hardest part.

Everything from your old system should go in no bother your RAM is the proper speed and HD and CD drives both will go in either the SATA or IDE ports and the mobo has both, all should be good, you will need to do a full reinstall of windows though, the drivers for your old pc in windows wont be correct for the new one, it is possible to do a repair install but it doesnt always work and a fresh install on a new system is the best way to go, so back up everything you want to keep.

ecnalav

ecnalav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Wow! Thank you so much. You have really made my year!!!!

Ill get it all ordered :tazz: :) :) :woot: :woot:

Thanks to everyone who was involved too in helping me :woot:

My system can handle gaming yes ? good frame rates high spec ? or medicre ?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It wont be a slouch its not going to be amazing playing FEAR and all the new games at maxed out settings, but not many machines that cost twice as much can. You can always overclock it a little once you have it.

But it will handle medium to high settings on most games easily the gfx card is budget but its good budget if you know what i mean. Its going to be leaps and bounds better than what you have know anyway, and it will be pretty snazzy lookin as well, so have fun.