Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Unplugged

• Please log in to reply

lucifer150

lucifer150

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a problem that when I sent my computer in to get fixed it came back with the network cards not working. This is what I have done so far.

1. Uninstalling them and reinstalling them, also physically removed them.
2. Buying a new ethernet card.
3. Checked the connection cable with three different cross-over cables.
4. Disabled the onboard Lan, incase of any conflicts.
5. Updating all the drivers.
6. Cleaned the motherboard, getting rid of any dust.

None of these have worked, and the old ethernet card was a realtek 8139. and so was the new one. It comes up with a big red X in the bottom right corner, saying it is unplugged, but in the device manager it says that it is working fine. I am using Windows XP with Service pack 2.

Can someone help me with this.

Steve

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you describe your network for us?

how is it set up physically?

lucifer150

lucifer150

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I connect to the internet via the usb, using a sagem modem on tiscali. My friends computer connects directly to mine via a cross over cable, from his ethernet card to mine. I have two ethernet cards an old one and a new one, just in case the old one was faulty, but the on board LAN also does not work. The Lights on his ethernet board do come on, but on mine they do not. I have also swapped his ethernet card for mine, and his does not work in my computer, but mine works in his computer, so it is not the ethernet cards. There is no hub between mine and his, its just a cable.

Cheers

Steve