Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files blocking defragmenter and virus scan

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you in a position to copy the entire 638MB file to a CDR then check it has all the data, and then delete the file from the drive

Run Windows disc clean up the disc defragmenter, run the tune up clean up and regsitry clean up, run speedefrag

Then you can look at only loading the files you need from the CDR

Advertisements

susan10179

susan10179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
No. Not really.Which file should I delete as I couldnt find the 638MB one?

susan10179

susan10179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
No. Not really.Which file should I delete as I couldnt find the 638MB one?

susan10179

susan10179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Did you mean to copy all my files to disc? I thought it was 2 totalling 638MB. What one do you think is probably blocking and not fragmenting ?

Edited by susan10179, 11 January 2006 - 03:48 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can copy them both so you have everything from the files which will not defragment saved to disc, then you can delete them from the drive, which should allow you to defragment then you can see which files need to go back on from the disc

susan10179

susan10179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hi Keith. I will have to get some discs so I can do this . Have never saved to disc before . Thanks. Will get some asap

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a DVD Writer you can obviously use a DVDRW disc or a CDRW disc with a CD Writer so you can re-use the disc

susan10179

susan10179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hi Keith

Have got some discs now. So should I copy all my programme files ? I think what is confusing me and making me sound stupid is that the files that wont fragment are in my documents. So I have been searching there. But it sounds like it could be programme files ?

Edited by susan10179, 13 January 2006 - 07:26 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The ones you need to copy are the ones which come to 638MB, once you have these onto a disc, you can insert the disc and click open to explore the folders, it will then show a screen with files currently on this disc

When you go back to the folders with the 638MB, check how many say the location is programme files

susan10179

susan10179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I havent found any that come to that. I am really lost, Keith. Where am I meant to be looking ? My pro files ?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's the ones in post 21

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=492095

susan10179

susan10179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I know but these are in my documents. So do I copy from there or my programme files ? Thats why I am getting confused .

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you run the defragment then it is from the folders which will not defragment, unless they are programme files

susan10179

susan10179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hi. Am starting to copy my files. The ones that wont fragment are my documents and folders , 2 frags. So I will copy my documents ? I will copy what you suggest, Keith .

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The documents and folders will be fine