Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start Up Problems Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Many thanks. I will report back to let you know the result.

Advertisements

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hello Keith and Fenor.

Further to out conversation of yesterday.

I have obtained the XP Installation and XP Service Pack 2 discs and code numbers.

I have had one attempt to repair the problem by installing the XP installation disc.

I get to the section where this instruction should appear:

* To repair the selected Windows XP installation press R

* To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing press Esc

But all I see is this:

*To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
*To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
*To delete the selected partition, press D.

If this means that repair is not possible and Windows and all other programs need to loaded again, then I think I would prefer to buy a new hard drive of greater caoacity say 40g and hope that this fixes the problem. What do you think? What are the chances that it might be a motherboard or other hardware problem?

You recall that yesterday I succesfully created a CD of the Rescue Console but have not been able to have the CD start. If I wait until the computer goes thru about 10 tries at starting it comes up with a screen asking for the system disc. Is it any use trying to start the Rescue Console CD at that point or is it the XP installation disc that is required?.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When it showed welcome to set up, press enter, not repair, this should give you the license agreement, press F8 to accept, this should give, to repair the selected XP installation, press R

Press R

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Keith. I have had three tries and followed those instructions carefully.

I definitely do not choose the "repair" option before hitting F8'

I am not given the option to repair after hitting F8.

What I get is a screen headed "Windows XP Professional Setup" showing a list of what is referred to there as "existing and unpartitioned space". This is shown as:

19078 MB Disc 0 at Id on bus on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [Unknown] 19069 MB <19069 MB free>
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

No repair choice is given. That choice referring to the Repair Console only appears on the prior screens.

Where to from here?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you run this to see what the result is

If you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks Keith. Tried all those options possible except:

1. The ones which required Windows to Start
2. Automatic System Recovery since I do not have the required backup disc
3. Recovery Console Method.

But I now notice I am having Hard Disc recognition errors.

I have had a few more goes at the first suggested option of tyring repair by going thru the XP installation route by trying to get the Repair option to appear that is after the F8 instruction, but now I get a screen that says:

"Set up did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer etc"

I then removed the hard disc and re-entered it a few times and did a few restarts but no luck.

When starting up the computer I now get a different screen. Not the one that says Welcome we are sorry etc, but one which indicates the memory is fine and says:

IDE Primary Channel Master Drive Error
Equipment Configuration Error

Is it worth considering the installation of a new hard drive tomorrow, or do you think there might be a possibility of a motherboard problem also? Should I consider cutting my losses now and throw it in the bin or gamble on spending another $100?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you don't mind playing about then you can connect this drive as the slave on another PC to at least get the data off

It will be worth ringing around to see if a shop will diagnose it on the basis that you will let them do a guaranteed repair, check the cost though, if they manage to pinpoint it

I would be reluctant to replace bits on the off chance it may solve the problem as it will likely be the quickest route to building a new custom PC if you get it wrong more than a few times

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks Keith.

I will try your suggestion.

I made the decision to get a second hand laptop to take away on a coming vacation on 26th December, since I didn't want to risk damaging or loosing a new one. Seems it was a bad decision.

My chances of getting anyone to repair it prior to Christmas are slim. I might take a punt on a new hard drive if I can't find anyone to repair it.

How difficult will it be installing Windows XP? I've done installations before. Are any surprise hitches likely apart from other hardware problems?

You probably have a thread on installing XP. I will do a search.

Thanks for all you help. It has been an interesting learning experience.

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hi Keith or Fenor.

I have obtained a new 40g hard drive and installed it.

I have proceeded to load Windows XP again.

I loaded the Windows XP Cd in the CD rom. It fires up and I followed all the instructions to reinsatll Windoes XP. All was going well until about 30 to 40 mins into the installation. I saw a screen which said if you have a disc in Floppy Drive A remove it. I ignored the instruction since I only have a CD running.

All of a sudden the Laptop switches itself off.

I tried to restart it and all that happens now is:

1. A black screen with the blinking cursor appears
2. The laptop is beeping
3. Noise comes from the CD to indicate it is spinning
4. Then the computer switches itself off.

I tried restarting again a few times, but all that happens is a repeat of 1, 2, 3 and 4 above.

What do I do next to continue the installation?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can note the number and length of the beeps and post them in

Advertisements

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Sorry just noted that I did not have the Laptop properly plugged in to the mains power. It was running on its reserved battery power.

So now I turn it on and it fires up and a number of informative blue box messages appear and I see the green box at the side indicating it is now installing devices. Whew that's a relief.

Just one question. Did I understand the information on the Geek's site corectly in that before installing the Service Pack 2 that I should download the updates first?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft Update should give you Windows Installer 3.1 and genuine validation, a reboot, some updates, a reboot, SP2, a reboot, some more updates

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Keith you said:

Microsoft Update should give you Windows Installer 3.1 and genuine validation, a reboot, some updates, a reboot, SP2, a reboot, some more updates

Sorry don't quite understand that instruction. Could you rephrase it please.

Are you saying that I should do all updates from the Microsoft website including the Service Pack 2 update, rather than loading the Service Pack Update 2 from the CD that I have?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That is the order you get the updates in

Installer and genuine validation tool

Some critical updates

SP2

More critical updates

You can load SP2 from the CD you have, assuming it will load :tazz:

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Many thanks again Keith. Your help and that of Fenor has been invaluable and beyond all expectations.

The Windows initial setup is now complete.

My fingers are crossed, and I am hoping that the installation of the new hard drive and loading all the software again will solve all the problems.

I will report back so you can decide when to close the topic. I might take me a couple of days.