Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Instalation of slax linux on slave drive with partition

• Please log in to reply

U_D

U_D

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi, I have a slax live cd that I occasionally run on, but I only have 128M of ram. So my problem with that is that I can't have 5 internet pages open without HUGE slowdowns. I decided to install it onto my second partition of my 160G harddrive. When I went to see if it was showing up, it wasn't. I then decided to switch that harddrive to the master, but that did not work either. Do you know why this may be happening?

Advertisements

SlackerX

SlackerX

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am far from a Linux expert, but I do know that you have to have the partition mounted for it to appear in Linux. With that in mind is it mounted and what are the contents of your /etc/fstab (I believe that is where it will be). I run slackware and no nothing about other distros or where they might put certain files.

If there is not a line in your your fstab file (to automatically mount the partition at boot time) then all you need to do is open your fstab file with your favorite editor and insert a line similar to the following.

/dev/hdb3 /home ext2 defaults 1 2

Then when you next reboot the partition should appear. The exact line for your system will depend on what filesystem you are using and of course how your machine recognizes the partition.

A pretty good article about this can be found at http://www.tuxfiles....help/fstab.html

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,731 posts
By default, most Live CDs will not mount all the partitions that it finds. Also, if you want to run from the disk you should boot from that partition. If you don't change the path, then it will use the files on the CD by default.

I am not sure if that version has an install to disk and the ability to install a new boot loader, but that is what I think you want to do.

In any case, 128Mb of memory is going to be an issue and it is going to be slow.