Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection refused attempting to contact localhost

• Please log in to reply

rickleton

rickleton

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
A company has built a website for me, and guided me through installing php and mySQL on my own pc to allow me to edit and view the webpages. This also involved setting up IIS.

I don't really understand what all the above does, why, etc etc. Anyway, at first I could see my web pages by typing http://localhost or selecting F12 from Dreamweaver. I didn't do any work on the website for a week or so, and when I came back all I can now get is the above message in Firefox. In IE, I get Page Cannot Be Displayed with 'Cannot find server or DNS Error' at the bottom of the page.

I've got XP/SP2 with ZoneAlarm [free version] and AVG antivirus, as well as a few antispyware products. The guy from the website company reckoned the problem was ZoneAlarm, but even with that deinstalled I got the same message. Ditto AVG.

He also reckoned it could be corrupt php installation, but reinstalling that did nothing. He's away from work for a while now and I can't find any solution to this on forums.

Can anyone PLEASE help?

Advertisements