Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory Low - Spyware?

• Please log in to reply

vratner

vratner

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First of all, I want to say that I am very impressed with this website – lots of helpful information. You, guys, are doing a great thing by helping others. Secondly, and that’s the sad part – I am one of the people in need of your help. Last week my laptop (running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2) got infected with some sort of virus/spyware. It all started with SpySheriff I think. I got all of my desktop/wallpaper/themes screwed up. In addition to that, I started getting some annoying spyware pop-ups/messages. I rebooted my laptop… some Multibot Pro “thingy” was trying to install, but got detected and I removed it with Microsoft AntiSpyware. After that I spent a couple of days trying to cleanup the mess, including the already mentioned Multibot Pro (btw, there is very limited information about it on the Internet), Timessquare, and other spyware that infected my machine. I ran Lavasoft Ad-Aware, CWShredder, Spybot S & D, Ewido, and then Symantec AntiVirus, and XoftSpy. I found a lot of nasty stuff, but safely removed it, cleaned up the registry, and I think I finally managed to bring my laptop back to its original “clean” state. I ran each program a couple of more times, and none of them detected anything. Except for Spybot – every time I run it, it comes up with the same problem – a registry key AntiVirusDisableNotify problem, that I think is related to the fact that my Windows Firewall was turned off. However, after I turned it on, Spybot still reports the same problem. What’s up with that? Another strange and annoying thing that’s happening now is the Low Virtual Memory message that I often get and which I never had before – it usually happens when the laptop goes into a standby mode. I am not running any new programs/processes, and I have increased the size of my virtual memory, but I still get that message once in a while. Is that a sign of a potential virus/spyware that is still hiding some place? Also, usually I turn my laptop off at night, but sometimes would still keep it on to pick up Windows updates, and to run Microsoft AntiSpyware system scan. After what happened last week, I am not sure it picks up any new updates, and the Microsoft AntiSpyware does not start automatically, although it is scheduled to run every time at 2 am. Once again, looks like a spyware to me. Any ideas, guys? Finally, and that’s just a question that I have: Should I be running all of my antispyware/antivirus programs at the same time? I have Microsoft AntiSpyware, Symantec Antivirus, and Ewido now running all at once. Is that good or bad? Wouldn’t they interfere with each other? If so, then which ones should I turn off and which ones should I leave running? Same question for Firewalls – I am using wireless connection, and usually keep Windows Firewall off, as my router has a built-in Firewall enabled (doesn’t it?). Should I keep them both on for more protection or will it just make things worse? Please, advise. Here is my Hijack This Log. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:29:56 PM, on 1/3/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\windows\System32\smss.exe
C:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\windows\system32\services.exe
C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe
C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
C:\windows\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Juniper\NetScreen-Remote\IreIKE.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Juniper\NetScreen-Remote\IPSecMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\windows\System32\wltrysvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\dvd43\dvd43_tray.exe
C:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Live365\Radio365\Radio365TrayAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Juniper\NetScreen-Remote\SafeCfg.exe
C:\Program Files\ShadowStor\ShadowUser\ShadowUser.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapp.../search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapp...rch/search.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SuNotification] C:\Program Files\ShadowStor\ShadowUser\suatshut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [drsmartloadb] c:\\drsmartloadb.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Windows Session Manager Subsystem] C:\windows\smss.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dvd43] C:\Program Files\dvd43\dvd43_tray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Radio365Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\Live365\Radio365\Radio365TrayAgent.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: NetScreen-Remote.lnk = C:\Program Files\Juniper\NetScreen-Remote\SafeCfg.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ShadowUser Pro Edition.lnk = C:\Program Files\ShadowStor\ShadowUser\ShadowUser.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to AD Black List - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Block All Images from the Same Server - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddAllToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Highlight - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Highlight.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open All Links in This Page... - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\OpenAllLinks.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open In New Avant Browser - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\OpenInNewBrowser.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Search.htm
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.themediamall.com
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.c...nst20040510.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\system32\NavLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: ssldr - ssldr32.dll (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: sunotify - C:\windows\SYSTEM32\sunotify.dll
O23 - Service: Atheros Configuration Service (ACS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\acs.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: SafeNet Monitor Service (IPSECMON) - SafeNet - C:\Program Files\Juniper\NetScreen-Remote\IPSecMon.exe
O23 - Service: SafeNet IKE Service (IREIKE) - SafeNet - C:\Program Files\Juniper\NetScreen-Remote\IreIKE.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: WLTRYSVC - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\wltrysvc.exe

Advertisements