Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drivers

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi john god...

The drivers that you installed would not install unless the correct or very similar hardware was found on the machine. Even if they did "unpack" for installation, they will be sitting harmlessly, waiting in a temporary folder. You would have noticed problems by now had they installed.

Yes, once we are finished they can all be safely deleted from your machine. :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 January 2006 - 06:35 PM.

Advertisements

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
wannabe 1

I just finished downloading 4 drivers from the sites you gave me to the downloads folder on my desktop.

john god

Edited by john god, 19 January 2006 - 10:25 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

Open the "downloads" folder. Are any of the files in there compressed files? (Do the folders have zippers on them?)

If any are compressed, right click on the compressed file and choose "Extract All...", extract them to the same folder (should be the default setting), and, once you see an "unzipped" folder with the same name, delete the zipped folder. Do this for all compressed folders.

Then right click inside the downloads folder and choose "Select all", right click again and point to "Send to", and select your cd burner. A "bubble message" should pop up by the clock...click on it. In the resulting window, click the link in the left pane to "Write these files to CD". This should get the files onto the cd for you...you can then transfer them to the other machine.

Let me know how this goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 January 2006 - 12:33 PM.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
wannabe 1

I right click on one file but no"extract all" came up.I got the open menu.I clicked on open, the file started extracting, a license agreement came up,I click next. It was doing other things, I waited to it finished.No other folder showed up,including unzip folder or default setting.

john god

Edited by john god, 19 January 2006 - 01:20 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you running XP?

If you have no zip application on your machine, try the Free Zip download in my signature. If the folders are not compressed..no zipper on the folder...they can be tranferred as they are.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
wannabe 1

I'm running windows 98se.There is no zipper on the files.Three files have a computer emblem and one looks like a vise holding a folder. I'm not sure what you mean, free zip download in your signature. But they have no zipper.

john god

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The file in the vise is a compressed file...unfortunately, Win98 does not have a compression utility...download Free Zip to unzip it.

The instructions I have been giving you for transferring the files have been for Win XP...sorry. With Win98 you can copy and paste them to the cd or use a third party burning software if you have it installed.

wannabe1

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
wannabe 1

Where will I install the zip file and how to use? Should I use the zip files on all 4 drivers? Do I open all 4 drivers to put in downloads folder? Can I put the entire downloads folder to the cd? Easiest way to do this? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still learning.........

john god

Edited by john god, 19 January 2006 - 03:00 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Use the Free Zip application to "unzip" the one zipped file...unzip it to the downloads folder. Once it's unzipped, you will have a file of the same name that is no longer "in a vise" in the folder...if the one that's compressed is still there, you can leave it of delete it...it doesn't really matter...we'll be using the unzipped one.

If you have third party burning software (Nero, Roxio, etc...) you can use that to either burn the files to cd or burn the whole downloads folder to the cd. If no third party burning software is installed, try right clicking on the folder (downloads) and select "Copy". Put a blank cd in the cd burner. Open "My Computer", double click on the cd drive, right click in the window that opens, and select "Paste". Let the files burn to the cd.

Edited by wannabe1, 19 January 2006 - 03:12 PM.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
wannabe 1

I have to get some blank cd's to finish. I unzip the vise file.Its in the downloads folder. When that is opened there's a bunch of other files.The other 3 files with the computer I didn't open.

john god

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perfect...that's what we're after! :tazz:

Now get the folder burned to cd and we'll be ready to go...

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
wannabe 1

The folder is now on cd.......

john god

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi john god...

Dorry for the delay....had to work :tazz:

Put the cd in the machine we're working on and open My Computer. Double click on the CD-ROM drive and then right click on the folder...select "Explore". Double click on the icon labeled infinst.exe to begin installing the chipset drivers. Once the installation is complete, reboot.

Open Device Manager...are there any yellow ? or ! ? If there are, what are they next to?

wannabe1

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
wannabe 1

No problem.This weekend was busy for me anyway.Started out with 6 ''?'',now only have 4.They are.-?Other devices
?PCI Communication Device
?PCI Ethernet Controller
?PCI Multimedia Audio Device

john god

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool...go ahead and install the other three drivers, rebooting after each installation. Then check Device Manager again and the yellow marks should be gone.

wannabe1