Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I have a computer that won't boot. When I press the power button the motherbord appears to get power. The LAN lights up, the hard drive spins, CD drive opens and all lights remain on. The computer never does do the BIOS check...nothing comes up on the screen and there are no beeps. I have removed each card and tried booting up and nothing. I also removed the memory and tried to boot...nothing. I also disconnected all all the drives and still no responce! Any ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when y ou removed all the ram..did you get a beep at all?

also...does this board have onboard video? if yes...do you also have a second video card in the system as well?

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
No beeps at all! Not even after the RAM was removed. It has on board memory but no second video card. Any ideas?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try removing the cmos battery for afew seconds (while the machine is off of course)...then put it back in..any change?

generally..no beep without ram...means the motherboard is bad...or...the speaker died....but it could also be a PSU issue

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I will try that. I will let you know what I find out and we can go from there.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I removed the battery and then put it back and still nothing! I checked all of the connections and the motherboard is connected to the power supply. There is power to the machine. The CD rom drive responds as will the HD? Any other ideas?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have access to another power supply?

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Yes. Should I try changing it? Do you think that there is a lack of power like a dead cell or something?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...if you're comfortable with swtiching it...it's worth a shot

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I have done it hundreds of times! I am at work right now and I will try it when i get home. If that's not it, in your opinion, is it time to buy a new board or do you have some other ideas? It's my understanding that you won't be around this weekend, right?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i may check in tomorrow once or twice...so keep posting whatever the outcome.....i'm not the only one here....if the psu doesn't make a chang in the system...then there's a few options

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I am working on the PSU now. What are some other options if this doesn't work?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
basically trying every part in another machine to see which one's dead....very messy

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
No go on the PSU. Currently it has a mere 250W. I put a 300w in it and there was no change. I guess that now it is time to get messy! What is the next thing to try? Today is my birthday and we are going out for dinner in a while but I will continue to work until then. So, what is the next step?

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Is it time to buy a new motherboard?