Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Researchers Develop Quantum Processor

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://news.yahoo.co...113/bs_nf/40876

A computer chip based on the esoteric science of quantum mechanics has been created by researchers at the University of Michigan. The chip might well pave the way for a new generation of supercomputers.

Employing the same semiconductor-fabrication techniques used to create common computer chips, the Michigan team was able to trap a single atom within an integrated chip and control it using electrical signals.

Two Places at Once

As of yet, the technology is not applicable to typical desktop PCs or servers, but quantum computers are said to be promising because they can solve complicated problems using massively parallel computing.

That is accomplished by the quirky nature of quantum mechanics, said Christopher Monroe, a physics professor and the principal investigator and co-author of the paper "Ion Trap in a Semiconductor Chip." He explained that that chips can process multiple inputs at the same time in the same device.

"With quantum mechanics, an object can be in two places at the same time, as long as you don't look at it," he said. The quantum computer architecture can store quantum bits (qubits) of information, where each qubit can hold the numbers one or zero, or even both digits simultaneously.

When a qubit is added to a quantum system, the computing power doubles. Thus, the quantum machine can crunch numbers at a rate that is exponentially faster than conventional processors, said Monroe.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I read about this stuff a couple of years ago, its pretty interesting but it would totally revolutionise the way we use computers and more importantly the way we write code, from what i was reading quantum computers wouldnt work at full potnetial in binary it would have to 7 to 12 state devices whihc would make coding a little more complex, the technology can also be applied to memory as well where it show equal promise.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
indeed....i bet resetting the CMOS would be bad on one of these things heheheh....you'd have to worry alot more about error...being that the processor can hold completely contradictory data at the exact same time...weeeeiiiiirddd..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Oh i get a head ache just remebering when i was taught quantum physics, debroigle wavelengths i can handle but when it gets to the different dimensions i just go a bit crosseyed at pretend to pay attention.