Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Burner not working

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
howlleo - could you start your own topic please? Its gets really confusing if we have to deal with two different systems in one topic.
Cheers :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Secondary Master is the correct setting for the drive so thats not the problem.

Another thought - do you have a spare IDE ribbon cable you could use? If so, try replacing the cable that the CDRW drive is connected to.

If that doesn't help either, then I think I'm going to have ask someone else to have a look at your problem cuz I'm running out of sensible ideas here!

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Sorry I had no time to read all this and this might have been suggested already, but have you tried using a cd rom cleaner? Or if you have windows XP you might want to go to the properties of your cd-rom in My Computer, go to the Recording option and tick off Enable Recording.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Try this. go to device manager select your CD-RW drive and press delete and choese OK. restart Windows and after windows find and installs your drive properly try to burn a CD. Or try updating the drive's firmware

Edited by memberix, 06 February 2006 - 06:26 PM.

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
SOORENA, do you mean make it NOT have a check on enable recording? it's already there

memberix, will i need the disk with the drive on it? I'm not sure i have it, probably a good idea to check before i uninstall the hardware

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You won't need a CD.

Edited by memberix, 07 February 2006 - 07:26 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Just been re-reading the previous posts & noticed something thats worth checking....
Re. the Dell diagnostic for the CDRW drive :
When you ran the test did you follow the instuctions for v3.0-v3.2 of the diagnostic CD? Did you remember to insert a CDRW into the drive?

I only ask because you said that the diagnostic tested the IDE hard drive before the CDRW drive, at which point it said it couldn't perform that test. According to the instructions, you don't test the hard drive, you simply tell it to test the CDRW drive only.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

SOORENA, do you mean make it NOT have a check on enable recording? it's already there

memberix, will i need the disk with the drive on it? I'm not sure i have it, probably a good idea to check before i uninstall the hardware

sorry i didn't reply but try unchecking and then cheking it again, you have to close then reopen the screen where its checked off. You can find CD-ROM cleaners in dollar stores.

meguel24

meguel24

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Guys I am having the exact same problem and error messgae as described above, but not with a Dell but a Sony Vaio. (Sony Vaio PCG-FRV27 P4 2.66 512 XP SP2) I used to be able to burn CD all day long, with applications running in the back. Now when I burn if will fail (either in the first few seconds to about 2 mins into the burn.) I havent have a sucessful burn in about 7 months??? Test burns work, but burns fails. This is true in Sony CD extreme, Win Media player, Drag n' drop CD, Real, Roxio. I've tried most of the same solutions but none work. Now just waiting for mrcool22322 to say it finally works:help:

Edited by meguel24, 09 February 2006 - 09:11 PM.

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok, i finally had some time to try what memberix suggested.

I deleted the disc, restarted, the disk was already reinstalled, and i didn't do anything. I tried to burn, but it didn't work.

Samm, like i said, I followed the first set of instructions, not the second set. I've tried starting the computer like it said, but not command prompt with "A:" comes up, i don't know what the deal is.

I had the diagnostic CD in, because that's what ran the tests.

Advertisements

TallRugbyGirl

TallRugbyGirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I came across this thread last night, googling my error code, and was frustrated that the problem had not seemingly been solved. As I have now had it solved somewhere else I thought I ought to update this thread, in case anyone else comes across it the same way I did!

It appears that I had started to use 16x DVDs to record to, when previously I had only used 8x DVDs with no problems. This new media actually required a firmware update for my 8x DVD drive, which was on my PC manufacturers website. In very small letters on the new DVDs it does state that some burners will need firmware upgrades to record successfully but I had not noticed that, and did not know what that meant anyway until now! Downloading and installing the firmware upgrade has solved my problem completely.

I would suggest that you discover the make and model of your drive (from the hardware properties) and then google that and the phrases firmware and upgrade, and you may find something to download. Alternatively contact the makers of you PC to ask for firmware upgrade information.

Good luck!

skagoranddean

skagoranddean

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello

I have looked over as much information as i can find as i have been having the same problem.

I am sure that most problems could be solved by buying decent quality CDs or DVDs as this worked for me.

I bought TDK as i remembered this was the only DVD that had ever worked previously after having tried all the methods for 'fixing my dc/dvd writer (Phillips DVD +- RW SDVD8431) read above.

I went as far as updating firmware but all i needed was good quality discs. This is weird as my last laptop would burn on anything.
:whistling: