Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade - Ram VS Powerbox

• Please log in to reply

skootyloops

skootyloops

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey, I've got $80 and i'm wondering what to blow it on. I've been thinking of getting a Samsung 512mb PC3200 for $60 to increase my ram to 1gb. But i've also been thinking about my 300W generic powerbox. I'm thinkning of upgrading it to a Coolermaster Extreme 430W Silent. Heres my prob i dont know what to buy. So im hoping i can get some advice from you guys.

Thanks In Advance

Advertisements

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Post ur system specs.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you plan to upgrade you system, eg new gfx card or cpu then a new PSU is in order, if all you are going to do for a while is put in some more ram, stick with the ram you wont see performance increase from a better psu ou will from new ram.

skootyloops

skootyloops

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My Pc Specs
AMD Athlon XP 1800 O/C'ed to 1610mhz
512mb PC 2700 Ram
GA-7VM400M
aTi Radeon 9250 128MB AGP
80GB HDD
40GB HDD
Standard CD Burner

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Ya get more ram as warriorscott said.

skootyloops

skootyloops

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks but im just wondering because my friend said that generic psu's can blow and take your pc with it. so would it be safer to get a new psu. i.e a superflower

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Never heard of a superflower before, what he says is true however if its been running fine for a long time it should be ok its generally when you first get them problems appear with generics.

skootyloops

skootyloops

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ahh ok so ram it is because i've had the pc for around 6 months and i believe the previous owner had it for a couple of years