Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Message:I am getting the same error message: "THIS FILE DOE

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The PC needs to be set to boot from the CD ROM drive first, to do this, boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, look for boot order and change it to CD ROM the hard drive, press F10, type Y, put the XP CD in the drive then press enter, the PC will reboot, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter, windows will load drivers etc, at the first screen press enter, press F8 to accept the license agreement, press R on the next screen, it will take a while then show you the progress, change the regional options during the install, if it asks about network, choose default, print this if you can

Advertisements

Pymeohmy

Pymeohmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
wow....lol

This is Greek to me! "Set to boot"...lol...
I'm sure you're thinking right about now that some people in this world just shouldn't have a computer.

;-)

I printed everything and will try....I have no clue what I'm doing.
Thank you Keith..wish me luck

Pyme

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I've just done this on a PC, should go well, you will need the product key for XP

Pymeohmy

Pymeohmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for all your help Keith.

It turned out that I didn't have to go through all those steps afterall. While I was trying to figure out the instructions to boot from my XP cd I somehow ended up in safe mode. I typed in the %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe just for the heck of it under my name rather than administrator and it worked!!

I restored my computer back to a previous date and all my files came back (whew!)

I am now afraid of installing the Norton Internet Security 2006 again because that's how all this started.

When I go to install the Norton 2006 again should I remove or uninstall 2005 first?
The directions given are very vague and very hard to understand if you're new to computers.

Oh....I'm sorry...can I ask you the Norton question here or should I ask that in another forum?
:tazz: thank you again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should uninstall 2005 then install 2006, though set a restore point between uninstalling 2005 and installing 2006

Good news about system restore

Pymeohmy

Pymeohmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Keith,

Well everything was fine and dandy with the restore. So I uninstalled Norton 2005 and installed 2006 and guess what..the same thing happened it wiped everything out of my computer. So I thought "no problem" I will go back into safe mode with command prompt and type in what you gave me before:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
I hit enter...and the restore window appeared but now instead of it having a calender in it it is totally EMPTY
it's just a big white empty box!!!

I am about to throw this computer and Norton internet security (which I paid upwards of 50 bucks for !) out
the window!

Do you have any idea why this doesn't work now and it worked fine before?
I tried it under not only my name but administrator as well just to be sure.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can check the settings as per post 16 then run XP repair to see if you can get it to a point where you can back up the data to DVDRW disc then possibly the best move will be to clean install XP, load Norton 2006 next then go for the windows updates and keep setting restore points and monitoring how the PC runs

Alternatively, you could run the repair, use add / remove to uninstall norton 2006, use their removal tool, then consider whether a combination of Zone Alarm free and AVG free will cover your PC as well, and with a lot less bother