Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tutorial of multi-processor systems?

• Please log in to reply

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Anyone know where one is or how to build a multi-processor system. I don't mean like an X2 lol. I mean like a couple Pentium 2s for a Linuz box or a few P3s for a quake 3 box or something. Any information is welcomed Thank You.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Anyone know where one is or how to build a multi-processor system. I don't mean like an X2 lol. I mean like a couple Pentium 2s for a Linuz box or a few P3s for a quake 3 box or something. Any information is welcomed Thank You.

All you have to do is search in google. Google has everything needed to know about anything lol.

I know what your talking about the dual or quad processor systems, not the dual core. Its easy to build a dual Processor opteron or xeon. You just have to buy 2 chips and they should be the same chip for both of them. Get them at the same company/website online of course. Dual pentium 3's exist still and you might be able to build one extremely cheap if your looking for a linux box or your own server firewall system..

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Yeah, thanks. I love google. Its just I search that and I find a ton of BS. I am just looking for some cheap boxes for things I need lol. I know what hardware to get except for motherboards and how to get them running in tandjum (or however you spell it).

Still can't find one if you can help me.

Edited by The Colonel, 11 February 2006 - 07:04 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I can help you build one but the dual pentium 3's are hard to find. They still have dual p3 boards but they are still asking quite abit for them. I wouldnt get one unless you knew someone that had one willing to sell it for really cheap.

List a budget and Ill see what I can do. Just for quake 3 you say? That game really doesnt take alot of resources unless you get alot of people on a server.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
My budget is anywhere from $100 to $300. I am not looking for specifically Quake 3. I am looking for that and games below it OR a file server. All I need is the actual CPUs, motherboard, and some memory (512 should be efficient). I have a video card, HD, and a few copies of Linux and Windows lying around.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
About the only places that have the parts are directron.com and ebay.

The socket 370 dual cpu motherboard is $230 at directron. The cpu's are pretty cheap. I doubt you can get all that under your budget because the motherboard is mainly the most expensive part. They are hard to find. LOL not worth getting it for that price as you can get a sempron+mobo for that price right now. There is no way you can get the stuff for $100. $300 maybe for the 2 cpus and memory and if you find a mobo somewhere that is cheap.

Id rather get a sempron+mobo combo as you can find them cheap. No purpose in getting a dual cpu pentium 3 or 2 as those chips have seen their days and expired. Sempron would be better overall and do what you wanted it to do.

The cpu's are cheap at directron for the socket 370's but I wouldnt touch them.

http://www.directron...tron/fcpga.html

Edited by jrm20, 11 February 2006 - 09:31 PM.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Actually, I have 2 P4 boxes. Can I run them in tandjum? I heard about it somewhere.

Edited by The Colonel, 11 February 2006 - 09:36 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Actually, I have 2 P4 boxes. Can I run them in tandjum? I heard about it somewhere.

No, pentium 4 is not made to be ran in a dual cpu motherboard. They dont have a motherboard that will support the chip or the socket of the dual pentium4's on a motherboard.

Xeons are the ones that are supported by a motherboard for xeons..

Edited by jrm20, 11 February 2006 - 09:57 PM.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Ok, so guess I'll just have to use my spare POS P4 for the server then.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok, so guess I'll just have to use my spare POS P4 for the server then.

Haha, what cpu is that particular pentium 4?

The pentium 4 will be faster than two pentium 3's or two pentium 2's anyday.

Advertisements

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
It's a freaking Willamette core that is not even 1.6 GHz I dont think. The system is a POS imho. It also has 256 MB of RAM and a Radeon 9200 and a loud 80 GB Maxtor HDD.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
haha, that system is fine for quake 3 or below games and a linux box or firewall or storage server... You could just up the ram and it will be fine.

Are you looking for a real server chip, motherboard and 512mb to 1gb of memory under $400?

Edited by jrm20, 11 February 2006 - 10:11 PM.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Yeah, actually it may be 128MB RAM. But either way, it sucks lol.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I dont know exactly what you want but just put a 512mb stick of ram in it and that should be fine. The dual pentium 2 and dual pentium 3's are really slow i might add..

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Yes let's add a stick... It isn't normal RAM lol. It is huge length wise.