Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about Active X on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

woodchuck

woodchuck

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
:) Hi There,

Recently I was at a used auto parts web site, Car-parts.com. I wanted to email one of the listed vendors and they required I down load active X before I could email a parts request. I don't know much about active X for instance what it is trying to accomplish. Is there any security concern after down loading Active X. How might it affect my computer or browser. If I need to, can I remove active X ? :tazz:

Thanks for any information or wisdom from your own experiences. I am trying to get better educated about my computer and its use on the Internet; especially with all the spware, viruses, etc! I don't think its safe to ignore what is going on any more.

Woodchuck

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Download spyware blaster first...reboot...and then go through the car parts procedure.

SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi woodchuck...

ActiveX is required by many sites in order to interact with the site properly. The site is simply telling you that you need these activex controls in order to use there form. Yes, you can download these controls, and I don't think they can be easily removed once installed (not sure about this, though), but should be harmless as far as malware is concerned. When in doubt about something like this, set a new restore point before installing...then you can "roll back" the system to just before you installed something.

coachwife6's suggestion is a good one. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! :tazz:

wannabe1