Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program Installs

• Please log in to reply

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I use Mozilla so when I copy and paste the link I get a bad page error. When I click on it I get through, so I then copy and paste that link into explorer.

Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:

(Radio check box) Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
(Radio check box) Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

I click the "Register or reinstall the files now" box

It registers me - 20% - 100%

Then it places me at a window that has "try microsoft update today with a "start now" button.

I click on that, I get

Review Licence Agreement

I continue, and I get

"Checking to see if your computer has the latest version of microsoft updater"

Then I get back to the same screen I had at the start withthe 2 radio check boxes.

Any time I go tothe updater this is the screen I get to and itwill not let me pass. I end up in a loop.

Thank you

Martin

Edited by wolftone, 25 February 2006 - 12:17 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you run this

1. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgr.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Click OK.

3. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.

4. Click OK.

Try Updates again

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Yeah I can. DO I need to be in Internet Explorer?

It takes me to the "AutoPatcher XP February 2006" page

Thank you

Martin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try post 17 first, I just read you need the bigger file before the February update will install

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Can you run this

1. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgr.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Click OK.

3. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.

4. Click OK.

Try Updates again

Both files succeeded

If you mean going tothe web addy you gave me in the recent post; I get into the same loop with it.

Thank you

Martin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Basically, you cannot install a thing?

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
If I don't go through the windows installer I can install any software, but as far as any windows updates, No.
:tazz:

This is a perplexing one.

Thank you

Martin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
One way would be repairing XP, which would remove SP2 and any existing updates, then Microsoft Update should offer the latest version of Windows Installer first, along with the files needed to use Updates, however you need an XP CD for this

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Would I need to buy the full install CD then. If I can't locate mine, this seems to be the way to go. It was a gateway install, and I don't know if that is different.

Thank you

Martin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Repairing pre-installed can be different, do you remember getting recovery CD's or an XP CD

Advertisements

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
No

I think I had the option of making the recovery CDs, but I never got around to it. I would have to find the package that came with it to really know what software came with it.

Thank you

Martin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you click start then my computer, do you have local disc C and local disc D

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Yes I do

Thank You

Martin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Local disc D is likely to have recovery partition as part of the name, the thing now is knowing what is on the recovery partition because using that will leave you with what that has and nothing else, usually, though some have a non destructive recovery option.

If you are not in a big hurry then contacting Gateway to ask them what your recovery drive has on it would be a good move

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks Keith

You've been with me from the start of this. Whatever it takes and whatever time it takes. It's really not affecting my computer at all.

Martin