Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC keeps restarting for no reason!

• Please log in to reply

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi guyz,

had some bizarre problems lately ... all of the sudden my PC started to restart for no reason. I wasn't able to get back into WINXP cause either PC resatrted or a funny blue window opened quickly and PC restarted again! Now i have reformatted my C drive and after like 100 times trying finally able to install XP without my PC restarting or saying i'm missing files!

Now that is on the same thing is happening and either option i chose

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

last known good configuration

my PC restarts!!!

Before formatting my C drive i have run all possible anti-virus programs like AVG, PANDA, SPYBOT, AD AWARE, AVANST, F-PROT and nothing appeared!

What is wrong - hardware???

Lydia

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
put your xp cd in the drive and boot to the cd...choose the R option to get to the recovery console...once there type chkdsk /r and let that run...report any errors

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
One of the errors i wrote down:

Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as: load needed DLLs for HAL. Please contact your support person to report this problem.

I would try that option above but PC may crashes before reaching that option or restarts or some blue message appears!

If i somehow get into XP with safe mode what to do???

Thank you for all the help!

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I tried you option from above:

1. during the 'setup is loading' i got the message

the file pciide.sys could not be found. Press key to continue.

2. after completing +setup is loading' i got blue screen saying:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer

Technical information

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x00000005. 0xF952CD3A, 0xF96B0040, 0xF96AFD40)

*** kbdclass.sys - ADDRESS F952CD3A BASE F9290000 DATASTAMP 3d6ddad3

4. during 'setup is loading' new error message:

file setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 4.

5. again blue screen message saying about TECHNICAL INFORMATION

pcmcia.sys

SOUNDS TERRIBLE, RIGHT????????????

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
When i (somehow) got into WinXp with the option SAFE MODE WITHOUT NETWORKING i was trying to locate something and all of the sudden PC restars (for a second some blue window opened but it's too quick to see what it says)

This is how my all problems started: everything was working fine a week ago and then my PC started to restart. Please tell me - is it hardware of software problem? Could it be virus (i did run all possible anti-virus programs before reinstalling WinXP).

Any help would be dearly appreciated

Lydia

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's almost impossible to tell whether it's h ardware or software....but with t he fact that this happens during and after fresh installs i'm leaning towards hardware...do you have a second hard drive laying around ( i know that sounds stupid but it's possilbe)

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes, beside drive C i also have drive D and portable drive F

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do either of those two drives have data on them?

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes but only video and music files

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
rats...well i don't want you to loose that info...cuz i know how hard it is to get it back....

Advertisements

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Do i need to delete something to have free space?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...what i was going to have you do was try to install windows on one of the other drives...but that would be a permanent change if it worked....

grr...i don't know why it's not letting you into recovery console let's try something else

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Funny when i connected my portable drive to this PC it doesn't recognize the hardware - it did it this morning!

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
'Repair an existing installation'

i think i have tried that option once but it said i need to put a diskette in my A drive (mentioning some program i don't have)

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
oops i think i have tried all those options before like quick format, long format (partitions or something like that). Was that wrong? Didn't help but i guess it didn't make it any worse either!