Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Found New Hardware Wizard on every start up.

• Please log in to reply

UKCamaroSS

UKCamaroSS

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

I have been through a process of removing some nasties from my system, which has now been completed thanks to the excellent help from Metallica and the Malware removal help guides, however I have one issue remaining. Metallica has suggested I post here for additional help with this remaining issue. My previous post was: http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=101892

Ok, now everytime I start my pc up, the found new hardware wizard starts. It says it has found a new multimedia device.

I have never installed any hardware on this PC, so I am not sure why this wizard appears, however my GigaPocket TV Tuner (Sony Vaio PC-V1 computer) no longer works.

If it is possible, can one of you help me solve this last issue?

Thanks in advance,
UKCamaroSS

Advertisements

loadsafuniam

loadsafuniam

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
if you go into CONTROL PANEL, then SYSTEM, click the HARDWARE tab, and then go into DEVICE MANAGER. are there any icons there that look like an exclaimation mark in a yellow circle??

UKCamaroSS

UKCamaroSS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello,

Yes.
Here is what is shown in device manager:
? Other Devices
-?! Multimedia Video Controller

On the properties for this it shows the following:
The device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall driver.

This device is used for the TV viewing, however this was installed from the factory... I have never installed any hardware on this PC. When I click reinstall driver, I am (windows) is, unable to locate the driver.

My HighJackThis log file from my other post (link:http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101892) shows missing files, but I am not sure how to correct them.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.
Regards,
UKCamaroSS

loadsafuniam

loadsafuniam

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
the only way i can help with the driver, without you opening your case and looking at the TV tuner make/model, is this.... Download and install this program Everest Home.
It is a diagnostic tool. Once this has loaded, click on the "devices" icon on the left, then go into "windows devices"... Find the TV tuner icon and click, and it will give you a make and model. Post back here with it and i can direct you to a driver.

As for your Hijack This problem, im sorry but i cant help there, not my field, sorry :tazz:

UKCamaroSS

UKCamaroSS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello,

I can not seem to find any information on make and model using Everest. I have attached a copy of what Everest shows.

Thanks,
UKCamaroSS

Attached Files

UKCamaroSS

UKCamaroSS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello,

I have found out that my issue relates to my Sony MPEG RealTime Encoder Board.

When this does not appear in my devices, the TV tuner does not work. I have managed to get further description on the error..... It is showing up as error Code 10.

I have no idea what that means error code means.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can progress / fix my Encoder board?

Regards,
UKCamaroSS

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 UKComaroSS Found New Hardware Wizard
19th March 2006

Hi – Welcome to – [Hardware] – Section of – [Geeks to Go] –

When this does not appear in my devices, the TV tuner does not work. I have managed to get further description on the error..... It is showing up as error Code 10 - I have no idea what that means error code means.

(1) - Open attached Instructions on using –[Everest Reports] – and – [How to attach to Post] then attach the 4 reports so that I can see/analyze your problem [See Bottom of page for Attachment]

(2) – [Code 10] = If the device has a Fail Reason String value in its hardware key, that string appears as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no Fail Reason String in the hardware key, you receive the following error message: [This device cannot start. (Code 10)]

(3) Recommended resolution for – [Device failed to start] is to Update Driver

You will need to set/enhance – [Device Manager] – to View Non Present Devices] – This is a one time process - that will essentially show your Device History – It will show all the devices that were installed – even if they are not presently connected – Malware will corrupt your [Device Drivers] – This will give you the ability to view them -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as required
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] *

Now you will be able to update your [Problem Devices] – Drivers using the – [Properties Page]

See Attachment for – [Creating & Attaching Everest Reports] -

Attached File  01_EVEREST_4F_Attatchment.doc   32KB   76 downloads

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 19 March 2006 - 12:30 PM.

UKCamaroSS

UKCamaroSS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Jack123,

Thanks for the offer of help.

Please see the attached zip file for my Everest reports, as requested (4).

If you need me to run any more reports etc, just let me know.

Thanks again,
UKCamaroSS

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02 UKComaroSS Found New Hardware Wizard
20th March 2006

I have never installed any hardware on this PC, so I am not sure why this wizard appears, however my GigaPocket TV Tuner (Sony Vaio PC-V1 computer) no longer works
This device is used for the TV viewing, however this was installed from the factory... I have never installed any hardware on this PC. When I click reinstall driver, I am (windows) is, unable to locate the driver.

Do you have a CD that came with your PC – Maybe the Driver required is located on it – Browse thru CD & see what all is supported –

[Everest] – does not seem to be well supported by your PC [??] – That is reason for lack of information – Usually the Reports created contain a lot more info & websites for updates –

I could not locate any info on the Web about your PC – Apparently it was bought in the UK – or maybe Germany [??] – I can ask one of our UK – Techs to look at this Topic – Maybe they could help you –

Do you have any Manual or Guide/Handbook on this PC – Maybe their Website is listed in there [??]

Was this bought in Store or Online [??]
If in Store maybe they may have Vendor Info for you
If – Online – Maybe that site may have info

Post back – Country & City info – so I can ask for Tech nearby – for assistance

Sorry that I cannot be of much assistance – in this matter -
Jack123