Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New-need much help - blank system restore

• Please log in to reply

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
The Intel graphics link worked until I got to changing the monitor. It won't let me select "properties". I downloaded the Win Audit but don't really know what to do with it now :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If I understand you correctly, your monitor is not listed under the monitor tab, nor is "Plug and Play Monitor".

Run the WinAudit on your machine and save a report to the desktop. Click the "Audit" button (top left) to start the audit. Once complete, click the "Save" button, choose the desktop to save it to, and click on "Save". This will generate 3 files on your desktop...right click on "rightframe.html" and point to "Send To" then choose "Compressed (Zip) folder".

Attach that zipped folder to an e-mail to me.

Edited by wannabe1, 08 May 2006 - 04:54 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type services.msc, and press "Enter".

Look in the list for the following..double click on each and choose "Automatic" from the Startup Type drop down menu, then click the "Start" button:

Intel® Graphics Chipset (KCH) Driver

Intel® Graphics Platform (SoftBIOS) Driver

Once these services have been started, close all open windows and reboot.

See if you can change the settings.

Edited by wannabe1, 08 May 2006 - 06:47 PM.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Might they be called something else, I don't see them listed? I need to leave for the evening so I'll give it another try after work tomorrow. Thanks!

Edited by vicki T, 08 May 2006 - 07:11 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try this with a slightly different version of the same drivers. Download This Driver Set and save the file to your desktop.

Double click on the downloaded file to install the driver. Use the default location to install to and click "Next". If prompted to replace files, click "Yes to All" so that all previous files are replaced. The driver should install.

If this doesn't install and allow you to change your settings, let me know and we'll do a manual install.

The only problem I see in the WinAudit report is this particular driver.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I keep getting an error message and then it exits the
installation.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:blink:

Open "My Computer" and double click on the C: drive...right click in the open C: drive, point to "New", and choose "Folder". Name this new folder New Drivers.

Download This File and save it to your desktop (this is the Zip version you downloaded earlier...if you still have it, you can skip the download).

Right click on the downloaded Zip file and choose "Extract All". Extract the files to C:\New Drivers

Click "Start" then right click on "My Computer" and then click on "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" Tab and select "Device Manager".

Select "Display adapters" then Double click on the graphics controller shown.

Click on the "Driver" tab and select "Update Driver...".

Select the following option: "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)". Click on the "Next" button.

Select the following option: "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install". Click on the "Next" button.

Select "Display adapters". Click on the "Next" button.

Click on the "Have Disk..." button and then the "Browse" button.

Browse to the directory where you unzipped the file you downloaded, C:\New Drivers, and then open the "Win2000" folder. Click the "ialmnt5.INF" file and choose "Open".

Click on the "OK" button. A window listing all of the available display types should open. Select the display adapter that your system contains (Intel 82845G) and then click on the "Next" button.

The operating system will install the driver. Click on the "Finish" button when done.

Click on the "Close" button and then manually restart the system. After the system restarts The driver should now be loaded.

Let me know how this goes.

As a side note...I'm not having much luck with the folks at Microsoft. They keep referring me to eMachines...we may have to contact them for the correct disk to restore the original operating system. :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 09 May 2006 - 09:16 PM.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Well, as usual I had a problem!! I get all the way to the "finish" screen and get the message "cannot install this hardware." I tried three times but no luck!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Arrrrgh....

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then expand (click +) "Display Adapters". Right click on your display adapter and choose "Uninstall". Reboot and let Windows detect and reinstall the adapter.

Let me know how this goes... :whistling:

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
It didn't seem to change anything. I still can't change my settings. "DeviceManager" is no longer listed in "hardware" Now it lists SAMSUNG SV4012H, Floppy Disk, and HL-DT-ST-CD, if that means anything.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...use System Restore to roll back to the very first restore point after the repair install.

We need to figure out just what the recovery disk you used changed on the Hard Drive that is making it so difficult to install the Intel drivers. I'll have to do some research on this...be patient, I'll get back to you as quickly as possible!

Do you know what model machine the recovery disk you used was originally shipped with?

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I don't know the model number of the E-machine. I'll try to find out. The restore won't work - message says no changes have been made. :whistling: I have to leave, don't know if I'll make it back on tonight, so if not I'll see what you came up with next time Thanks!

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
The model number of the e-machine that I used the disk from is W3107

Tartarfan

Tartarfan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
eMachines are made by Gateway.

Gateway has a restore issue with some computers that require you to go into the BIOS and disable Hyperthreading until the restore is completed.

That was the problem with mine.

Soon as I disabled hyperthreading, restore worked fine.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks for your interest. We've made so many changes I can't remember if that was one of them. Glad yours is working!