Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New-need much help - blank system restore

• Please log in to reply

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Great, you're a lifesaver!! I'll post again when I get the disk! Thanks so much. Vicki

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perfect! That will give us quite a few more options... :whistling:

In the meantime, can you go back to the Registry Editor, right click on the CLSID folder in the left pane, select "Export", name it clsid, and save it to your desktop. Right click on the file you just saved, point to "Send to", and select "Compressed folder". E-mail me the zipped folder as an attachment. (I'll PM you with my addy).

wannabe1

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I don't have any good news today. First, my son could not find the disk, thinks perhaps he left it in the house he is selling which is 200 miles from here. He said he's going there next weekend and will look for it, but a lot of good that does me now. And I don't know anyone else in the world who has an E-machine. Second, the only disks I found at my mom's were Office XP. Then, I tried to export the CLSID to the desktop and I get the message "Selected branch does not exist. Make sure that the correct path is given." Then I tried to e-mail you and I can't access "compose" on my e-mail. Sorry so negative:) Vicki

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi vicki T...

We are haveing a time, aren't we?

We don't necesarily have to have an E-Machines cd...any XP installation cd will do. Unfortunately, XP Office is not an operating system, so that won't help us.

Feel like experimenting a bit? I really don't think we can damage the registry much more than it already is... :whistling:

Download the attached zip file and extract it to your desktop. Right click on the extracted file and choose "Merge". Accept all prompts to do this.

Try to open System Restore.

wannabe1

Attached Files

• Attached File  reg1.zip   564bytes   416 downloads

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Says cannot import.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you go into the registry editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID...is CLSID there?

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
It is there but it will not expand. Like it's empty.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try it from the Safe Mode admin account...first, see if you can expand CLSID...if not, merge the file and try again.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
No luck either way.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What happens if you double click on a key in the registry editor?

Advertisements

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
They all will expand.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Registry problems are fun...huh? :whistling:

Right click on CLSID and point to "New"...select "Key" Copy/Paste {f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58} into the folder name box and click in a clear area to set the name. Does the key "create"?

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Says unable to create key. Yes, these are certainly fun!! I just appreciate your help so much!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're welcome, Viki :blink: With an XP cd, we'd be done by now... :whistling:

Right click on CLSID and choose "Permissions". What do you see?

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
All the fields are blank.