Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot start computer [Resolved]

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r with the spaces and press enter, type Y to confirm, press enter then reboot

This will take an hour or so, do not disturb this

Advertisements

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
In my Safe Mode with Command Prompt, I type in "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstui.exe"
and it says that it "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

I'm under C:\Documents and Settings\MyName, if that makes a difference.

Edited by DirePenguin, 18 April 2006 - 08:09 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No quotes ?

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Erm, I'm not really using quotes, I just put those in there... to show what I was typing in, I suppose. I dunno. I'm not using quotes in my command line.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Also you missed an R

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
That I did. It worked... but it gave me this message - "System Restore has been turned off and cannot be turned on in Safe Mode. To turn on System Restore, restart in Normal Mode and then run System Restore again."

>.>

I realize in hindsight this was probably bad of me, but my computer is terrible, and using System Restore corrupts game files that are frequently patched, so I had it turned off to save space (was critically low on HD space).

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Reboot to safe mode

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Doing so... I can log in in Safe Mode without any problems. For some reason (possibly half a repair job) I'm not having nearly as many false starts when booting.

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Once this is done, what do you want me to do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The check disk will take an hour, from there the drive will be more stable than it is now so the next thing would be to check the system files

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Advertisements

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Should I/can I do this in Safe Mode or normal mode? If the system becomes more stable after the CHKDSK, should I attempt to finish the repair before doing the above? Should I even bother finishing the repair at all?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Getting check disk to run will be advantageous, system file check will run in safe mode, that will help even if you need to repair after it

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ah, but do I need to? Is it dangerous to leave the repair partially finished?

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
CHKDSK finished but I still can't log in in normal mode - recieving the same errors. I'm going to attempt to finish the installation before fixing up the registry. Good or bad idea?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Your call but running the system file check would be good