Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

• Please log in to reply

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Thanks

Advertisements

The One and Only

The One and Only

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have indentical problems to what he has my sound card and video card share the same IRQs can you tell me how to change this as they may be the problem.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi The One and Only...

It would be better if you start your own topic if the following advice doesn't resolve the issue. IRQ problems may appear identicle, but rarely are... :whistling:

That being said, if you are using a PCI sound card, move it to a different PCI slot as far away from the video card as possible.

The One and Only

The One and Only

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok how do i see how close they are together without openin her up?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
gordobw: Do you have room in your machine to move your sound card to a different slot?

The One and Only: Download and run WinAudit. Scan the machine and when finished, click on "Hardware Devices" in the left pane. Click on your display adapter in the expanded list. In the right pane, look at the location. It will tell you which slot it occupies. Do the same for the sound card. If they are in adjacent slots, you'll have to open the case and move one card to any other avaiilable slot that is NOT adjacent.

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I believe my sound card is "integrated" (no card). The only slots being used are for my monitor and modem

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're right... :blink: I had to go back to the WinAudit Report to look... :whistling:

I did find an interesting tid-bit I'd like you to read. Let me know what you think....

AMD and IRQ Conflicts

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I read the info, I am assuming you wanted me to read because I do not have suffiecient IRQs. Or that I need to start over again. It is kind of odd that it worked fine for about 8 months before I began getting that error.

Lately I have been also getting an error about a page fault in a non page area or something like that.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I can only speculate on why the machine ran good for a time and then began getting the IRQ errors. Maybe an automatic update to the video card drivers that changed an IRQ setting? Maybe an update that changed things enough that you need to upgrade the BIOS version?

The reason I had for having you read that article is because there is a lot of good information there regarding the complexity of IRQ issues related to AMD processors.

And now you're getting Page Fault errors? You'll rarely see me say this, but in your situation, I'm wondering if a complete format and fresh install of XP might be in order... :blink: ...using the guide in the link for installing your devices in the recommended order.

We can keep on working this problem, but we've been at it for quite a while with no significant progress...it just seems that prudence would dictate trying a fresh start to eliminate the problem. :whistling:

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
First I will take all the two cards out that I have and then I will zero using seagate and then I will reinstall fresh. Let me know anything else I need before I start the process

Edited by gordobw, 09 July 2006 - 01:51 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I really feal this is the best course of action at this point. When you reinstall, make sure you have no external devices of flash drives connected. The fewer devices you have at the start, the more likely you will have a successful, error free install. :whistling:

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Okay I have done the clean reinstall, some of the IRQ are still being shared.

(PCI) 20 Realtek AC'97 Audio
(PCI) 20 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
(PCI) 20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
(PCI) 21 NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
(PCI) 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you still getting the errors?

Some IRQ sharing is normal and necesary...

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I have not received any errors yet but I have not been on the computer long enough. I have installed the printer and office and no errors yet.

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Still No errors, the only thing I have not installed is the dell wireless mouse and keyboard