Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fujitsu Amilo D7850 laptop

• Please log in to reply

IvanSki

IvanSki

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello all

I have a fujitsu amilo d7850 laptop. Its a 40gb hard drive intel pentium 4, 2.8ghz/766mb ram. Running windows XP.

The problem...................

NO sound, I have system sounds ie beeps when it boots up. I have installed the sis7012 codec, whenever I have done this windows will not boot up. I start up in safe mode, uninstall the driver, then run a registry cleaner, delete all it finds. And re-install it.

It has been into the local shop, who couldnt do anything with it. Before we fell out he did tell me he had removed spyware & virus. However since then windows have been re-installed so the wholoe system is clean.

I have spent a lot of time on this and am sick of it..........................any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ivan

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the installation source, uninstall the soundcard software

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Re-install the soundcard software

IvanSki

IvanSki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi

Ive done the work as you outline, however the computer is running faster but I still have the issue with the sis7012 sound codec. IE It goes in and the machine freezes up..............

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Where are you getting the soundcard software from?

IvanSki

IvanSki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
its the SIS 7012 audio driver, its on the driver CD which i got with windows! From what i have heard this driver seems to be the best!! haha not!

what happens is that when i try to install the driver 2 error messages appear, i think it depends on what mood the computer is in

it shows "-536870397" just after i click on install, and then the install wizard stops! it has happened everytime. Also in the device manage the multimedia audio controller has a yellow box with a black question mark in it.

i have tried absolutly everything but nothing seems to work, what i have done is downloaded everest so i can show you the summary of my laptop to see if you are able to sort things out with the information!

Field Value
Computer
Computer Type ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name LAPTOP
User Name Nick
Logon Domain [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Date / Time 2006-05-08 / 17:44

Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2233 MHz (21 x 106)
Motherboard Name FUJITSU SIEMENS Amilo D Series
Motherboard Chipset SiS 648(FX)
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type AMI (12/23/04)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9200 (64 MB)
Video Adapter ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9200 (64 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 (M9+X)
Monitor Digital Flat Panel (1024x768)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter VIA VT1612A @ SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage
IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive ST94019A (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive DVD+RW RW8165 (DVD:4x/2.4x/8x, CD:16x/8x/24x DVD+RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network
Primary IP Address [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Primary MAC Address 00-03-0D-0F-10-DE
Network Adapter SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (195. [ TRIAL VERSION ])
Modem Smart Link 56K Modem

Peripherals
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device Alcatel Speed Touch ADSL Modem
USB Device Magic Wheel
Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

DMI
DMI BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
DMI BIOS Version 1.07
DMI System Manufacturer FUJITSU SIEMENS
DMI System Product Amilo D Series
DMI System Version
DMI System Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI System UUID [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer Uniwill
DMI Motherboard Product 755SA1
DMI Motherboard Version
DMI Motherboard Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Chassis Manufacturer FUJITSU SIEMENS
DMI Chassis Version
DMI Chassis Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Chassis Asset Tag [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Chassis Type Notebook

Kind Regards!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check on the SiS site

http://www.sis.com/d...t.php?id=155808

IvanSki

IvanSki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
same thing happens when you download from their site! none of this SIS driver actually work, no matter where i get them from they DONT WORK AGH!!!!!

ive spent the last three weeks trying to fix this and it is just really beginning to annoy me now! any suggestions or help will do. i could post a hijackthis log if that will do any difference!

Kind Regards

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

IvanSki

IvanSki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
still not working! tried the scan now and it says that drivers are missing out the DLL cache, then the check disk didnt do anything.

im just asking here but will it not work because this is a fujitsu laptop and i am putting non branded microsoft software?

Regards

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The SiS drivers should work with their card

Have you asked them which driver is required

Advertisements

IvanSki

IvanSki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well when i go on the SiS website i can match up my PCI with the SiS 7012 driver, but it just doesnt seem to install, and when it does install then the computer will either not load up altogether or it will crash as soon as windows starts up,

when i did do sfc /scannow, about 15 seconds into it, it says that "files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied into the DLL cache" maybe this could be the problem, BUT.... i have just re-installed windows so i dont understand! is there anyway possible that you could determine what drivers are missing from my DLL cache, so i could download thiem if possible?

Regards

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should replace them from the XP CD

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to download and install from VIA the driver for VIA VT1612A

IvanSki

IvanSki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
just tried to install the via VT1612A and it says that the AC 97 chip set was not found on my system!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would do the following:

Go to device manager and click the + near "sound video and game controllers". Right click on every item , enter properties and check if the item is working properly.

In the same place uninstall everything that you can.

enter BIOS and make sure that audio (or whatever it is called there) is enabled. Not all BIOS programs have this enable/disable option, so if you don't find it in any of the menus just don't worry.

Now most important: your motherboard is FUJITSU SIEMENS Amilo D Series. Enter the manufacturer's site download and install from there all the drivers related to your motherboard, including chipset drivers.

If this doesn't help then I would suspect a motherboard failure in the part that controls multimedia.