Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstall Norton Anti Virus

• Please log in to reply

richc46

richc46

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been reading the comments in this forum for the past few days. It appears to be a friendly, helpful forum so I decided to join. Here is my problem:

My subscription to NAV expires in one week. I would really like to try the free AV that came with my new ATT Yahoo DSL, but am afraid to uninstall Norton. This forum as well as other sources indicate that uninstalling can be a problem. Based upon the information in this forum and elsewhere, I plan to take the following action to uninstall. Before booting my computer I will make sure that I uncheck Norton from Autoex.bat, and also any NAV applications that show in startup. I will then use the install uninstall IE tool that is in the computer control panel. This is where I feel I may have a problem, I will boot my computer, if I can still get on line, but have remnants of NAV remaining, I will use the Norton uninstall tool for NAV 2004. If I still have a problem I will use the NAV uninstall tool for 2003 and earlier, since I originally had NAV 2000 then upgrade to 2002 and finally 2004.

Please, I am new at this. If you think that I may have a problem larger than I can handle or if I am making a mistake in my approach. Please tell me. I much rather spend th $30.00 for a new subscription, than have a problem. The extent of my knowledge is to take the steps as previously outlined. Thanks all.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...are-t43188.html give that a read

richc46

richc46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for the advice. Do you think that I would have a better chance of success if I prevented NAV from loading at startup?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
indeed