Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media player 11,,,,,cant import library properly ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Have just downloaded the windows media player 11 (beta),, to have alook at what its like
compared to wmp 10. To be honest with you i am very impressed with the layout and the functions, and have decided that i am gonna keep it, and ditch wmp 10 altogether.

I have come across aproblem though,, which i am not sure if its to do with th media player,, or just an unacheivable task on any pc.
Let me explain,,,,,

Previously,, when i want to listen to music,,, i click on my music folder on the desktop ( 50gb folder),, open up the artist,, then the song,, then play it,,, only then does the wmp10 apper, and play the track.
Previously,, i was never a lover of having copies of all my tracks in the wmp10 library,, which is why i have kept the format i am using up till now.

What i would like to do is,,,,, export, or copy,, my entire music folder, into the wmp 11 library,, so in future, all i have to do is open wmp 11 from the desktop and get to the songs straight from there.
The problemis,, it appears that in order to be in the library,, the song has to have been played previously in the player,,, ie/ songs that i havent played for a long time arent in the library at all,, and albums are listed there,, but only with 1 or 2 tracks available ,, cos i have only played 1 or 2 tracks from it in the past.

Is there any way around this at all ???
I am not going to bother if i have to play each and every album in its entirerty,, just to get it into the wmp 11 library,,,,,,

Apart from this,,,,, its pretty impressive player,,,, great layout.

I do hope this makes some se to somebody,,, i have a habit of explaining things very badly :whistling:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol thats got to be the most round about way to do it, easiest way is to set it up at the start, the library doesnt copy the tracks it just builds a database of where they are stored on your computer it just scans for them and remembers where they are.

To do this after install go to Tools>Options>Library>Monitor Folders>Add.. then put in the folder you want then ok ok to that window and itll scan those folders for tracks took 1-2 minutes to do my whole music and vid collection on the PC which is about 70 gigs in all.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Warriorscot,,,
Have tried what you suggested,, but it doesnt seem to be workin ???

wmp 11 >> tools >>library >> monitor folders >> my music selected,,, but then it does a search,, then,,,

files found 3968 files added 0

Doesnt seem to want to play ball ???

Have even tried selecting all folders,,,

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you let it run thats unusual, also try not to keep your music in you my music folder, keep it in its own folder in the main directory so C:/Music, or like mine on another partition D:/ Music if its in my documents if things go wrong its easy to lose it but if its not there its harder for accidental deletion.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Warriorscot,,,

Thanks a million,,,,you put me on the right track with your comment about not keeping music in the my music file,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i dont,,,,,,,,,,, thats why i wouldnt work.

Tried it again, but this time finding the 55gb music folder on my c drive,,, worked a treat,, took 6 mins and now the library is completly updated.

Just one more thing though,,,, if i move the 55gb folder from my c drive to my d drive, which is empty and a lot bigger than my c,,, would this affect the library at all ?? ie/ would it be fooled into thinking the music files have disapeared ???? Just a thought,,,
Cheers mate,, much appreciated. kev.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Shouldnt as long as you change the appropriate value, its easy fixed if it does get confused.