Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Return of The Computer that Wouldn't Boot

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you attach another monitor to it

You will need something to see the memtest results

Advertisements

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
How do I use Memtest in the first place? I'm pretty sure the monitor is fine - the computer just isn't sending any signals to it since it isn't booting.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To make a Bootable CD from with in windows you would download the ISO image that has a .zip extension. .tar would be for UNIX.
Memtest.ISO
Then use www.winzip.com to extract the ISO image to the same directory that you downloaded it to. Then using CD-R software you will burn the image to CD. Note: Do not copy the image; there is usually an option under file or burner to burn image.

http://www.houseofhe...ead.php?t=38201

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
When I attempt to add the .iso file to a Data CD Project (Using Roxio) the program crashes. When I simply doubleclick the ISO file, or left-click and choose Record To CD, I am able to burn the CD but it appears empty and the desktop does not boot from it.

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
BRB, going to check and see if THIS computer will boot from the "blank" ISO CD.

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Nothing happened.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It needs to be burned as an image file and the boot order needs to be CD ROM drive then hard drive

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I can't burn ISO files on this computer then, for some reason. I do have a floppy with Microsoft's memory check utility on it - it writes random data and patterned date to the RAM - isn't it basicly the same thing as this? Can I use it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run it

What is the problem with burning the ISO Image file

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
The computer won't boot from the floppy.

ISO problem: I right-click the ISO image and choose Record to CD. Roxio burns a disc, but it appears to be empty and the computer won't boot from it.

But, the desktop won't boot from ANYTHING - I even tried the Windows XP Installation CD and it didn't work.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you use creator classic and make bootable CD from advanced options, click file, new project, bootable CD

Can you check the boot order is still set to CD ROM Drive then hard drive

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I don't have an option to create a bootable CD.

Also, I can't check the boot order. The desktop does not boot AT ALL. No flashing cursor, no motitor signals, no beeps, no NOTHING. All that happens is the power light turns on and the CD drives whir for a moment and that's it. I have no opportunity to get into safe mode or boot from a CD/Floppy.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the bootable CD thing. Will try and make it work

UPDATE: Still does not boot from CD or at all.

Edited by DirePenguin, 25 May 2006 - 06:23 PM.

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I tried plugging a different monitor into the desktop to check if it was a monitor issue at all - as soon as I plugged it in, it went into power-save mode just like the other monitor, so apparently that is not the issue.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello DirePenguin...

Have you looked at any other hardware as the problem? This sounds very much like a bad power supply. These symptoms can also be caused by a bad motherboard or processor. I would lean toward the power supply, though.

Do you have another power supply laying around that you could connect as a test for this?

wannabe1

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I think you might be right. Would a bad power supply cause file corruption and trap exception errors too? Makes sense that it would be causing the computer to not boot if it was I guess.

Anyway, no, I don't have a handy power supply. I'm not yet geek enough to have spare parts around (or rich enough :whistling:).