Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB driver

• Please log in to reply

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
after downloading the program, I tried to install the BIOS utility and it requires me to have a floppy drive for some reason, and I don't have one on my laptop.

This is the website that has the instructions on how to install it too.
http://esupport.sony...l...082&os_id=7

I might have to go buy an external floppy drive, because this bios utility might do it, as you said. You think it's worth to go buy an external floppy drive for like 20 bucks?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I dont think it will work...I built a computer and did not put a floppy drive in it...then got a pair of WD 10 K raptors that needed a floppy to install the SATA drivers for them to work..so I bought a external USB floppy and tried to get the drivers on that way with no success...had to put a internal floppy in after all...all my builds now get a floppy...let me research and see if I can't find a way to get it onto a cd ...there has to be a way as I don't think a laptop has a floppy

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in your bios and check the boot order...is there a option to boot from USB drive..if there is then the external usb floppy will work for you

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
no there is not an option for USB drive in the boot order...

I appreciate you looking into this for researching into this for me.

let me know when you get any information...

Edited by arabcamel, 11 July 2006 - 05:53 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what are your boot options

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I will restart my computer and check in like 5 minutes when I finish downloading a program

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
there were 4 options:

optical
hard disk
floppy disk
network

Edited by arabcamel, 11 July 2006 - 06:28 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

there were 4 options:

optical
hard disk
floppy disk
network

It looks as though you can boot from a floppy...the external floppys are about $25.00 in my area

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
would the external floppy drive work through USB, even though I'm having trouble with my USB port?

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I just ordered an external floppy drive for $20.49 including shipping and handling. It will get here in 2 to 3 days. So when I get it I"ll try that bios utility and let you know. In the meantime, if you have any other ideas before I try that, let me know. If the bios utility is the next step and it's better to wait until I try it, that is okay too.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yes..the floppy will work..just at a slower speed....If you can't find a way to enable usb hi speed in the bios without the update then we will have to wait for the floppy drive

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
well I have to wait until the floppy drive gets here to install the bios utility because it needs a floppy disc for backup. So I'll try that when it gets here..

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
just to keep you updated. I got the USB floppy drive, it finally got here after a week. Supposetly the drivers don't work for windows xp. I'm going to call the company I bought it from tomorrow and complain, because on the website where I bought it, it said it did. I even tried to get the drivers online. So i think tomorrow i'm gonna just go buy one from the store, or borrow one from a friend. don't forget about me...i'll be back replying and letting you know if that bios utility program worked soon!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if i remember right...its been a couple years ago when I got and tried the usb floppy drive ..it was plug and play...XP drivers worked just fine....might want to try this...start...run...type in services.msc...then click on OK...scroll down to ...plug and play...if its not set to automatic set it by right clicking on it and then click on properties...in the start up type window..use the scroll button to get to the drop down list and click on automatic...then OK your way out....reboot and see if the floppy is detected...be sure to have the usb floppy pluged in when you reboot....

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I did what you said. The plug in play was already set on automatic, but I rebooted with the USB floppy drive plugged in and it still wouldn't detect it. I just sent a technical support request from the sabrent company's website. So I should get a response within 24-48 hours (that's what the website told me). Hopefully They will help me get this installed so I can try the Bios Utility program.