Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME System Files Altered

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

With the laptop off, put the Startup disk in the floppy drive and power on. The machine should boot to the floppy and give you a list of options. Choose option 1, to "Start with cd-rom support" and press "Enter". It will load the drivers it needs to use the cd-rom. Put the installation cd into the cd-rom drive and close the tray.

Once at the command prompt (A:\), type e: and press "Enter". This should give you the E:\ prompt. At the E:\ prompt, type setup.exe and press "Enter". This should start the WinME installation process, which is just what we want. If you see ANY warnings about formatting or "all data will be lost", cancel the process and let me know. Otherwise, let ME install over itself...this will replace the corrupt system files and straighten out the registry.

Let me know if you run into any problems...I'll hang out here until the process completes.

Advertisements

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Do you mean with the desktop off? :whistling:

It's the one that has the problem...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Doh!!!!

Yes......... :whistling:

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I assummed that much and did what you said floppy into desktop; however, I thought I was going to be prompted for the CD ROM, and now I'm at the A prompt.

Apparently, it wasn't clear to me as to when to put the CD ROM into the drive. So should I start the process over? Gosh, I hope I didn't create any problems because things went by very quickly on the screem. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you see a list of options, one of which was "Start with cd-rom support"? If yes, did you select that option?

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Yes I did, it was the first choice and chose it, but I didn't realize that perhaps I was suppose to put the CD in at that time. So it went through the steps and I'm now at the A prompt.

Should I have put the CD in after making that first choice? So what do I do now? Startover or what?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're fine...

At the A:\ prompt, type e: and press "Enter". At the resulting E:\ prompt, type setup.exe and press "Enter".

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
it is not letting me change to an e prompt;

I get

CDR101: Not ready reading drive E,
Abort, Retry, Fail?r

I've tried serveral times already...but no changes

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you select start with cd-rom support and press enter, it should give you information about a "Ram drive" being created and tell you the the cd-rom will be Drive ?...what drive does it tell you the cd-rom is?

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
This is driving me crazy...I just discovered that my printer CD was in the CD ROM drive. Gosh what have I done...is it now damaged? Or what? Please tell me that it is still okay..

As to our task at hand...do I start over by turning the computer off, putting the floppy in and the WIN ME CD together or what etc? :blink: :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: You're still fine, Sinking Fast...relax a bit and enjoy this wonderful experience... :blink:

If you are at the A:\ prompt, put the correct cd into the cd-rom drive and close the tray. At the A:\ prompt, type e: and press "Enter". Do you get the E:\ prompt?

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm glad you're having fun :blink:

Anyway, I've made it to the E Drive and I'm about to look for the good stuff :whistling: ....So just hold on....

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Gosh, I thought I would have good news for you but I can't get it to do anything. I'm getting the following:

CDR101: Not ready reading drive E,
Abort, Retry, Fail?r

And, I've tried several times

Do you think that Drive E is not the correct drive? At one point I did see something that said Diagnostic Tools successfully loaded on D.....does this mean anything to you (but of course that was when I had my printer CD where the ME CD should have been)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have more than one hard drive in the machine or does your hard drive have more than one partition on it? Do you have more than one cd-rom drive in the machine?

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have a DVD ROM (at the top) and a CD ROM /Rewritable (at the bottom.)

I put my CD for WIN ME in the bottom slot