Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Startup Process Aborted.

• Please log in to reply

RandyOhio

RandyOhio

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
After the Windows Loading screen (the black screen with the windows logo and the
progress bar) I recieve a message on a blue screen that says "Aborted." and nothing
else. The screen is not the BSOD. It resembles the screen you get when you run chkdsk
at next boot. After this the screen goes black for a second. Then the Welcome screen
comes on and windows finishes loading normally. No other performance issues or problems
are noticable. :help:

I would like to know what is being aborted and how I can stop this message from appearing. :whistling:

So far I havn't been able to find any help online even from microsoft's Knowledge
Base. I have used my "System Mechanic 6" to check the start up programs. I looked
in the Startup Folder, all the "run" keys in the registry as mentioned in the article,
scheduled tasks, msconfig, and all my other programs that can be set to run at startup.
(maybe i missed something?) I can't find anything. :)

I suspect that somewhere in the system a process, program, or system utility may
have been enabled at every boot with a blank or corrupt entry, or had been set to
run only if certain parameters are met (sort of like some defrag programs can be
set to only defrag at a certain amount of framentation). :blink:

I recently tried starting in safe mode and the problem wasn't duplicated. In another forum (annoyances.org) someone suggested I check the RAID or SCSI Hardware or Software. There aren't any installed that I am aware of.

The attached file is my bootlog from my previous restart.

Attached Files

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi RandyOhio...

You have a lot of drivers that are not loading properly. The reason the problem is not duplicated in Safe Mode is because Safe Mode uses a minimum set of drivers and those it does use are native Windows drivers. This may very well indicate that you have corrupt or missing system files.

A few things you can try:

Empty Prefetch: Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok". In the window that opens, click "Edit" in the toolbar and choose "Select All". Right click on any selected file and choose "Delete". Reboot 4 times to repopulate the folder with fresh files.

System File Check: Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour).

In-place Upgrade: REPAIR your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Let us know if this helps...

wannabe1

RandyOhio

RandyOhio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for your reponse.

I will do the prefetch purging (again) and see if that helps. I feel that the other two steps you mentions are a bit drastic. This computer has "System Mechanic 6" installed and a few optional or unessecary start up items have been disabled for personal preference and optimization.

In the past SFC and repairing windows XP have been done and only nightmares ensued. Not being able to locate files many error pop ups ext. Thus requiring a clean install of Windows XP. I will only use this as an absolute last resort. As it has been awhile since I used my ViceVersa Pro to back up my complete system. If I do a clean install important files may be lost and I cannot risk that.

Thank you for your help. But please refrain from telling people to do the afore mentioned things without intimately knowing thier system. No offense. Just a heads up that it isn't always a quick fix and can really corrupt some systems. :whistling: I speak from experiance.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I beg to differ, but will defer to your wishes...GOOD LUCK... :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you should be backing up your important files...regularly..and make several copies on different media..hard drive ..CD and DVDs

I'm with wannabe1 on the repair..you shouldn't lose anything...you will have to do the windows updates though..

you might want to give Winpatrol a shot..look at Startup Autorun Program Manager and Scheduled Tasks to see if you can figure out whats causing the problem..its free

http://www.winpatrol.com/

Edited by happyrck, 12 July 2006 - 05:29 PM.

RandyOhio

RandyOhio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you happyrck. However it is a "No go" on the repair. I feel that this is a quick fix I hear from too many techies. Yes, it works for some.
However manufactures often supply thier own repair or restore disks that work better, because they have all the proper drivers for the hardware installed. Even so, the Windows defaults are installed or reset when you use the repair feature, sfc or manufacturer disk. These don't always work correctly with some hardware or software that has been installed after market by the user. Alas, lets stop the debate over this and concentrate on the task at hand. :whistling: This is for a Yahoo chat room not geekstogo. :blink:

I will try winpatrol and see if that helps. I willl be back with the results.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
perhaps I wasn't clear about the repair option..I didn't mean for you to do it now ..just that it is a workable option in some cases ...now about your attitude " Alas, lets stop the debate over this and concentrate on the task at hand. This is for a Yahoo chat room not geekstogo....I dont let my paying customers talk to me that way..what makes you think anybody is going to want to help you...you concentrate on the task at hand.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well said, happyrck...

RandyOhio: You came here asking for help. We offered it and you've rebuffed our efforts. There are other help sites on the internet...perhaps you should seek help elsewhere if you think our efforts are substandard.

wannabe1

RandyOhio

RandyOhio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes there are other help sites on the internet and I have been using them. As for my comments, I am sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to. I was just expressing my own feelings about the quick fixes. I just want to explore other options and see what other people have to say before I go and do that. :whistling:

If I had a paying customer talking to me that way. I would listen to them imho. I go by the rule "The customer is always right." With very few exceptions (like they are trying to con me or something is completely impossible to do). :blink:

Anyway I ran Winpatrol and didn't see anything unusual. I am attaching the full report.

Attached Files

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

But please refrain from telling people to do the afore mentioned things without intimately knowing thier system. No offense. Just a heads up that it isn't always a quick fix and can really corrupt some systems. :whistling: I speak from experiance.

Hello, and welcome to GeeksToGo. I'm sorry you're having trouble. The Staff here are all very good at what they do, but you're right. How can we possibly know your system...or any other...intimately? It's not possible without the computer right in front of us. We are an online help forum. We are all volunteers, and love what we do. I can guarantee you that NO ONE here has ever intentionally suggested a fix that will cause a system to be corrupted. The things that wannabe suggested are done over and over, many times a day. We've yet (knock on wood) to have someone come back and tell us we ruined their computer. If it were that risky...we either wouldn't suggest it...or we'd put HUGE disclaimers on the post.

We have many MANY times when quick fixes don't work. When they don't, we dig deeper and work harder. No one ever said that those "quick fixes" would rectify all of your problems. They were a basic starting point, and sound advice.

Advertisements

RandyOhio

RandyOhio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for your post. I agree with you. However, personally I choose not to use these options. I have had a bad experiance in the past and consider them last resorts, instead of a starting point.

I don't mean to demean anyones knowledge of computer systems or even suggest that the advice is subpar.

I guess I should have just asked if there was anything else we could try before we use the quick fixes. I humbly appologize and hope we can figure this thing out. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You can do this from Recovery Console or Command Prompt. Refer to the boot.log...you will have to rename and then delete each of the corrupt system drivers (Did not load) and then extract the good drivers from the installation cd. Do them one at a time and in order.

This is something that SFC does to a degree and the Repair install does completely automatically and is why I suggested the operations in the first place. Clearing the Prefetch was to make sure the machine didn't load any corrupt driver files from it's cache if you chose the SFC option.

This will be tedious and it will be very easy to make a mistake...be careful and take your time.

I HIGHLY recommend you back up all important data before attempting this procedure.

RandyOhio

RandyOhio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Could using the last known good configuration in the F8 menu help?
How about the thing where you can go back to a previous snapshot or restore point in windows. I forgot what the latter is called. You get a calander and can go back to when you believe the system was working correctly.

I'm just not completely sure that HP's restore disk has the required files on it. If it does, could you possibly know of general location I could try looking for the files? Someplace that may be common to most system restore disks?the

I will look thru my disks and see if I have the Windows XP disk or not. Sometimes it comes seperately, sometimes it's on the manufacturers restore disk.

Edited by RandyOhio, 12 July 2006 - 09:02 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
"Last known good configuration" will restore your registry to the last configuration that started, but will not address the corrupted or damaged files.

The System Restore is an option worth trying as it may contain good files , but I'm not so sure that it doesn't use the current files so I can't give you a definite answer here. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

I suggested pulling files from the cd as they would be known good files.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can try system restore...go to start...all programs...accessories...system tools..system restore...pick a date at least 2 weeks before you started having the problem...
if that fails to correct the problem then you might want to get these if you run out of options and have to do a repair..this is the repair files to fix windows because the restore disk that came with your computer is just made to wipe the drive and make it like the day you got it...

when you don't have a OEM XP CD to get to the recovery console..get rc.iso

you must burn it as an image. Using Nero for example, under the Recorder menu, choose 'Burn image' the navigate to the .iso, then it will be bootable. download it here...

www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

if you dont have a iso burner get burncdcc...a free ...small fast ..no frills ..iso burning program

BurnCDCC is a remarkably small utility, that allows you to burn an ISO file to a CD or DVD disc. This can be very useful, if your burner software package does not support burning of .ISO files. Works well!...get it here...

http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html