Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another Blue screen topic

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Now we're getting somewhere...

How old is this machine?

Advertisements

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ive had it for about two years.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you have an office supply store in your area, pick up a can of compressed air and use it to clean out all the vent areas on the machine. If there are access panels on the bottom of the machine near any of the vents, open them and clean as much dust and whatever else may be in there out.

Also look at the fan(s)...make sure they are spinning up when you turn the machine on...you should be able to hear them if you can't see them. Prop the screen end of the machine up on a book or something to increase the airflow under the machine.

An overheating processor will give all the symptoms you have right now and the errors DO indicate a hardware problem.

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok, i also saw something called Speed Fan in your signature, is it worth getting that?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
SpeedFan is more a diagnostic tool that allows you to monitor the temperatures and voltages. Once the machine is running, yes...we can use it to see just how hot the machine is getting.

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok thanks for the help so far, ill be back soon im just going to grab some dinner quick

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll be around here somewhere...in between periods of chasing the lawnmower around the yard... :whistling:

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yeh im back, sorry i was so long

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I cleaned out the vent areas, but there is still a problem. Hasnt made any difference, windows still doesnt load

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does it feel like it's getting as hot as it was? Without know how hot is was getting, I'm hoping the processor of other hardware hasn't been damaged.

Try booting into safe mode again...does it go past the screen (black with white text) where it loads files? If it does, what is the last screen it gets to. If it stops on the text screen, what is the last file in the list?

Advertisements

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It gets past the black screen with the white writing, but it loads REAL slow, and then another blue screen comes up, and it reboots

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Still no "beep"?

Try booting to the cd again...watch for the prompt to "Press any key to boot from cd" and when you see it, press the spacebar.

We'll try this one screen at a time if it will boot this way...Let me know if it boots.

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It doesnt even ask for a disk, i put boot frfom CD as number 1. It just carries on booting from HD

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have access to a different XP installation cd?

This is still a hardware issue, I just don't know which it is. I'm starting to lean towards the hard drive. If it were the RAM, you should get a series of beeps. If the processor was bad, it shouldn't even post or load as far as it does. What's confusing me is the inability to boot to the cd.

Do you have any external devices connected? Mouse, keyboard, flash drive...anything?

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have no external devicees attached, and i dont have access to a different windows xp installation disk at this moment