Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alfacleaner / CoolWebSearch - Remaining Artifacts

• Please log in to reply

kdfrawg

kdfrawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Pieter -

There is an option, "Turn Monitor Off" that sounds like it could be it. Is that what you're looking for?

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look.

Michael

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts

There is an option, "Turn Monitor Off"

That sounds about right, yes.

It looks like a reasonably active forum. If it is a common problem they might know a solution.
Unfortunately they have the Forum Search function for registered members only. :whistling:

kdfrawg

kdfrawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Pieter -

I turned the Lynksys monitor off and got the same error when I shut down. I've been trying to remember when this started happening. It was either when I upgraded Windows 2000 to Windows XP (six months or so ago) or when I put in a faster wireless card (at about the same time). It doesn't seem to hurt anything. As far as I can tell, it works just fine. ;o)

I will register at the Linksys forum. That will certainly make it easier. It does look busy. I'm sure I'm probably not the only one that this is happening to. In any case, I don't think it is critical. It's just one of those things that nags at you. Under normal conditions, I don't shut down the system anyway. With winter coming up, it will provide enough heat to keep my little office warm 24 hours a day.

Michael

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts

it will provide enough heat to keep my little office warm 24 hours a day.

:whistling:

Is there anything I can help you with?
I feel a bit inadequate after not really solving the issues you have.

Regards,

kdfrawg

kdfrawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Pieter -

You have been more than adequate. The biggest thing for me was that I could not do Windows Updates and you figured that one out for me! Microsoft technical support has been trying to get that done for almost two months. Although I am not a big Microsoft fan, the ability to download and install the security updates is very important. If I had continued to work with Microsoft, as opposed to coming here and meeting you, I would still be vulnerable to security faults that they had closed but that I could not get to. I truly thank you very much for your help!

Michael

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Ah, thanks for making me feel better. :whistling:

And if it makes you feel better: MicroSoft shows its gratitude towards me on a regular basis.
So they were helping in the background, so to speak:
http://mvp.support.m....com/mvpexecsum

Take care and let me know if I can provide any further assistance.
I´ll leave this thread open as an easy means for you to reach me.
Email notification will stop after 30 days however.

kdfrawg

kdfrawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have had a fair amount of backchannel support from Microsoft, starting just after I pointed out a few errors in their original C compiler many years ago. Do not get me wrong; it is not the people at Microsoft that bother me. They have some truly incredible people and I like and respect a lot of them. It is rather the blind behemoth of the company running at a rapid velocity, colliding with things everywhere with the very large resulting momentum, that bothers me. It can get dangerous out here for the rest of us. ;o)

Thank you for leaving the topic open. You are very good to work with and also have an excellent sense of humor. I would be saddened to lose the connection too quickly.

Michael

ps- If my father had not been adopted as a child and then released as a very young adult with the name "Jones", my last name would be Vanderheidant. That is probably a bad spelling, but close.

Edited by kdfrawg, 05 September 2006 - 01:36 PM.