Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

start up

• Please log in to reply

nawlins99

nawlins99

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
hi, i have a hand me down home laptop that is very slow but at least lets me check email. everything else i can do at work. all of a sudden, my home laptop, a gateway 2000 (thats all the info i know) , had a few probs. it would make a vibrating noise and stall. im pretty sure it wasnt a virus. when i tried to reboot, it would do it everytime, so finally i tried messing around with control or function 8 on the keypad after i would turn it on, because i think thats where you can get into the dos stuff? anyway, while there i hit many things and one i tried to enter, the last time the puter would go that far because now it wont do anything, was the one that said to restart using a former application or something to that effect...not sure (i didnt think id find a forum like this when it happened so i didnt write anything down). bottom line is now when i turn on my puter, it quickly begins to show what its doing , like how many bytes, i think, the usual stuff, and then before it goes to windows, it stops, forever. the last thing it shows on the screen on the list is that it recognizes the mouse or something, then it stops. it wont lwet me hit control 8 anymore or anything...how do i get the puter on again?!!!! SORRY SO VAGUE!any ideas??thanksssssssssssss

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Hello and welcome to GeeksToGo.
Could you describe the vibrating noise alittle more. Where is it coming from? The back, bottom, under the keyboard? The model or series of the computer should be on a stick on the bottm of the computer.

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
well, i cant get to the point where and when it was vibrating because it was weeks ago...now it wont let me get that far, unfortunately. the buzzing (trying to remember) was , wow, hard to say. since its a laptop and so thin, hard to differeniate (sp?)...ill keep trying to remember...

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
When you say it wont let you get that far is it because the computer no longer turns on or because it freezez before you get to that point?

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yes, it freezes or stops, after i turn it on , and the last thing on the screen says something about the mouse being found...then i cant do a thing after that...no combo of keys will do anything, safe mode, nothing...

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Will F8 still bring you to the boot menu?

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
no, thats what im saying...NOTHING WILL WORK...

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
so...anybody else...can anyone help me...is there any other way to "get into" my puter??

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Got an XP CD?

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
im clueless...

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
XP CD pictures of various "flavors":

Posted Image

Posted Image

It should have come with your computer, and look like one of those. Or you may have bought it separately. Do you have a CD like one of these? (there may be others that look differently too)

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
NOPE, PUTER WAS A HAND-ME-DOWN...NOTHING W/ IT...CAN I BUY/BORROW...AND WHICH ONE FOR SURE IS IT? OR WILL ANY WORK? OR SPECIFICALLY FOR MY PUTER?YOU THINK IT WILL DEFINITELY WORK- LIKE THATS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS?THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, please remember that we cannot see your laptop so lets go quickly to the missing details, do you know the following:

the make
the product number
the xp licence number which is normally on the underside of the laptop.

Can we have those first please.

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
no prob, ill get those for tomorrow morning...thanks!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

NOPE, PUTER WAS A HAND-ME-DOWN...NOTHING W/ IT...CAN I BUY/BORROW...AND WHICH ONE FOR SURE IS IT? OR WILL ANY WORK? OR SPECIFICALLY FOR MY PUTER?YOU THINK IT WILL DEFINITELY WORK- LIKE THATS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS?THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP...

Looks like your Shift key is broken. :blink:

Seriously, though, all caps is considered shouting over the internet, and is just plain hard to read. Please refrain from typing in all caps.

We await your post tomorrow. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 September 2006 - 06:13 PM.