Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown problem

• Please log in to reply

mattyman1

mattyman1

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello

Operating system is xp
Uninstalled AVG free and all in the vault , installed NOD 32 antivirus but now my pc won't shutdown. I allways have to turn power off. Have tried uninstalling NOD 32 but this doesn't help. Please can you help ?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got anything connected by USB, other than the keyboard and mouse

mattyman1

mattyman1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
only printer
modem is via ethernet cable
keyboard & mouse are wirless (2 wks old) connected using the the colour coded ports at back of unit.
when i try and shutdown the desktop stays on , the mouse works but i can't open or click on anything

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have seen an HP printer hold a system up unless its USB lead was removed

mattyman1

mattyman1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
just tried , didn't work
Can't help thinking it was something to do with the stuff in the AVG vault i got rid of.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could try disabling NOD32 then turning the PC off, make sure NOD32 is active after the reboot. If it shuts down when NOD32 is off, you could re-install it

This will check a few things

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

mattyman1

mattyman1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
did all that and at every reboot stage i had to hold the power button in to switch off.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type shutdown -f and click OK, give it a few minutes

mattyman1

mattyman1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
same result - it froze and i had to turn off

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Some information for your problem:

http://www.windowsne...s-Shutdown.html

You could also run dial a fix: http://www.majorgeek...wnload4899.html

Edited by zbd, 16 December 2006 - 12:29 PM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
have you tried first recording(for later use) then disabling all the startups in msconfig, if it solves the problem you can then pinpoint it amoust those you recorded, if not just reenable them back to what you first recorded

Edited by fleamailman, 16 December 2006 - 01:54 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
does get stuck at saving your settings or when you start back up do get message like this system has recovered from a serious error

if your computer does that then your registry is not shutting down completly

if thats the case heres a upclean fix

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

upclean will close your registry safely
it will force it to close

Edited by rushin1nd, 16 December 2006 - 02:51 PM.

mattyman1

mattyman1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
have disabled most of the start ups or at least the ones i don't think i need. That didn't help.

When i try & shutdown or restart the desktop display remains , i can move the mouse around but evrything else is frozen, can't ctrl alt del, can't do anything except turn the power off. No error message is displayed.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Would your PC happen to be an HP Pavilion?

mattyman1

mattyman1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
its an acer aspire t50