Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crashing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: O.k. Forgive my typing errors, we use all caps at work, and I have been told that in the computer world that is like shouting, so I have a problem adapting :blink: . I previously run Disc Clean Up, Disc Defragmenter, Chkdsk - but will happily try again. This morning Norton showed STATUS GOOD. Also I am going back on Microsoft update history, because the day my problems started w/vm, I had noticed in the MS update history that an update had tried and had been unsuccessful. It asked if I wanted to try again, and I clicked yes - update was successful and immediately I started getting the Virtual Memory error messages repeatedly. I still am not sure that I have my VM and Registry settings correct. Here i go with todays tests. Thanks again, Barb

Advertisements

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: I went on Microsoft update history because the day I started getting the Virtual Memory error messages I had found on the update history that an update did not install correctly. It gave me the prompt "Do you want to try to install this Update now" and I said yes. Just for your info, this is the update in question. " Root Certificates Update
This item updates the list root certificates on your computer to the latest list that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate Program. Adding additional root certificates to your computer enables a greater range of security enhanced Web browsing, encrypted e-mail, and security enhanced code delivery applications to work seamlessly. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
Get help and support
http://www.download....RTF/en/4702.htm
Print | Close "

I will get back w/you shortly after I do today's homework. Thanks, Barb

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: Why aren't my replies showing up on thread? In the hopes that they don't show until you view them I am carrying on. My computer froze trying to do the disc clean up. When i brought it back up, Norton's sent me a new msg. "Class Not Registered 0x80040154" and the link to Symantec Tech Support. I went thru the options, installed Auto Fix Tool, and everything showed O.k. I tried to get thru to support live chat and computer kept trying to get to link, blinking back and forwards? I did go ahead and uninstall Nortons at this point and then I went on with your instructions.
Start,run, Prefetch. received msg that "Cannot Find The File 'Prefetch" (or one of it's components) Make sure path and filename are correct and all required libraries are available.
So, I went thru Disc Clean up. I defragged evens though it said I didn't need to. (94% free space). Then I went to start, run, Chkdsk/f/r and it gave me the same msg - "Cannot find the file Chkdsk/f/r (or one of it's components) Make sure path and filename are correct and all required libraries are available. So, where do I go now? Thanks, Barb

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Hi, barb266 :whistling:

I am convinced that the source of your problems is Norton.

How to run ChkDsk in Windows 2000:

From Windows: Right click My Computer, Manage, Storage, Disk Management, right-click C:, Properties, Tools, Check Now, Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors...

From the Command Prompt: If in Windows, shut-down and Start back up. Press F8 as Windows is about to boot, Choose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt, if a second menu appears choose the operating system and press Return to boot to Windows 2000. Then use a variation of da ol' DOS chkdsk command...

C:\>chkdsk /?

C:\>chkdsk /f /r

You can skip Prefetch as may not be available in Windows 2000.

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: O.K. I ran ChkDsk, again thanks for the help. Went like clockwork w/your last instructions. Nortons is gone, probably am not going to reinstall. If you would, would you tell me what else I need to uninstall? I have been through all the steps on GTG to do before posting a thread and should I now delete all those programs? And since I uninstalled Norton's what should I keep? When I did my first Panda scan, I purchased StopZilla (another error on my part - I thought if would correct my problems). Also, just started today, there are times that my cursor bounces and I see (I don't know how to describe it) links at the bottom of screen, like they are trying to load, one stayed long enough for me to see, "Go to Tune Up Advisor.com". After that I ran a full scan by AVG and it showed clear. Also the Panda scan showed Hacking tools and rootkits. What are they? Thanks again for your patience, because I am in way over my head and nearly a nervous wreck.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Panda scan showed Hacking tools and rootkits

I need to see that report and a fresh Hijackthis log.

Is there a difference now that Norton is gone. What version of Norton was installed? If 2006 and later,follow these steps to completely remove Norton from your computer:

Try the removal tool from Symantec:
  • Please download and save SymNRT.exe to your desktop.
  • Close all programs and double click on the tool.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Restart the computer if asked.
  • Then delete the SymNRT.exe tool from your desktop.
  • Open the Program Files folder on your local disk ( normally C: )
  • Find and delete the following folders (if present):
  • Norton AntiVirus
  • Norton Internet Security
  • Norton SystemWorks
  • Norton Personal Firewall
You must have an Antivirus program. You can have as many spyware programs you may want, but only one anti-virus program. You can select from the following:

Free Protection:

AVG FREE

AVIRA

AVAST

Activevirusshield

Shareware:

Node32

Reccomendation: -> Node32

Let me see the Pandascan along with a hijackthis log.

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Will do immediately. Barb

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Attached File  winzip_1_17.zip   4.32KB   71 downloads :whistling: SymAdata Web (Windows installer Package - Author Symantec) is showing in Documents/Downloads/Programs. Should I delete it also? Sorry for delay, shut down during first scan at 80,000 + and had to restart. Posted are active scan, hijack this and uninstall list. Thanks, Barb

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Windows installer Package - Author Symantec

Yes.

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://edits.mywebse...?p=ZJxdm090YYUS
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.symantec.com
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} - https://www-secure.s...sa/SymAData.cab

Now close all windows and browsers, other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked.

Close Hijackthis.

Please remove the following folders:

c:\program files\FunWebProducts
c:\program files\MyWebSearch
C:\!KillBox

Also remove all tools downloaded during this session such as, SDFix, SmitfraudFix, ...etc

The log looks clear. You need to install an antivirus as soon as possible.

How is the computer doing?

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: Oops, I was thinking AVG was anitvirus. Will take care of that. I will take care of your last post tonight, if things go smoothly. I have an early morning for work (0430 hrs) so I probably won't post again tonight. Will Post as soon as possible. Thanks again.

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
:whistling:

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: I t-h-i-n-k it is better...still freezes on long scans, by the way, still cannot get rid of PC MightyMax - not showing in install but still showing program files - will not let me delete. I really thank you for your time and will be making a donation. I still have a couple of issues, can't uninstall Myspace IM, but will probably post another thread. If nothing else, I know more about computers today than I did a month ago. Still too much to learn! I still don't know how I messed this one up! Thanks again!! Goodnight.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

1. Please download The Avenger by Swandog46 to your Desktop.
  • Click on Avenger.zip to open the file
  • Extract avenger.exe to your desktop
2. Copy all the text contained in the code box below to your Clipboard by highlighting it and pressing (Ctrl+C):

Folders to delete:
C:\Program Files\PC MightyMax

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, start The Avenger program by clicking on its icon on your desktop.
  • Under "Script file to execute" choose "Input Script Manually".
  • Now click on the Magnifying Glass icon which will open a new window titled "View/edit script"
  • Paste the text copied to clipboard into this window by pressing (Ctrl+V).
  • Click Done
  • Now click on the Green Light to begin execution of the script
  • Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.
4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:
  • It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Unload", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
  • On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
  • After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions. This log file will be located at C:\avenger.txt
  • The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.
5. Please copy/paste the content of c:\avenger.txt into your reply along with a fresh HJT log .

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: i installed Node32. I downloaded and ran Avenger. Everything appeared to do fine. Upon startup, blank notepad popped up and said "Cannot find avenger txt file. Do you want to create another. I clicked yes, but another blank note pad came up. My desktop came up white in "desktop recovery". I followed steps for after having installed new item and my desktop was restored. I looked and found the avenger zipped backup file, and the avenger txt file - the txt file was blank. Attached is my new HTJ log and Uninstall List. Thanks, Barb :blink:

Attached Files

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

1. Launch Notepad, and copy/paste the contents of the quote box below into a new Notepad file. Save it with file name options.txt and save as file type: all files to your desktop.

RegSearch Options File

[Search]
MightyMax

[Exclude]

[Options]
Filter=KVDLUI

2. Download Registry Search to your desktop.
  • Right click on the compressed RegSearch folder, and choose "Extract All". In the box that pops open, click "Next", then "Next" again, and then "Finish". You now have another RegSearch folder on your desktop.
  • Open the new folder, and double click on regsearch.exe
  • Click "Import" in the lower left corner and browse to the options.txt file that you just saved on your desktop. Do not choose the one in the RegSearch folder itself.
  • Click OK and Registry Search will scan your registry for the file(s), and a Notepad box will open with a report.
  • Please reply here with the entire contents of the Notepad file from RegSearch.