Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! SP2 Uninstall Disaster-

• Please log in to reply

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
There isn't a "Manage Add Ons" anything. Where else might I find it?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Probably no add ons, then. Move on...if we have problems deleting the folder we'll now Flash9.ocx is there somewhere and we'll get it the old fashioned way.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Good Morning!
Well, the good news is that so far we are doing well. Downloaded 58 updates to XP and then SP2. I left AVG on though becaue I am so paranoid of getting sick! Hope that doesn't make a difference.

Now for the latest problem. Just when you thought it was over!

When I click on Local Disc C, there is (and was) a lot of the stuff we got rid of. for instance, all the music I copied into the new my docs was there too, along with everything else. I deleted that folder and any other ones that were noticibly left over, but it is hard to tell what is supposed to be there and what isn't.

On some, I just deleted the contents and left the folder, not knowing if it is necessary. The document & setting folder has the new stuff. On that page is a WINDOWSO folder too. Obviously I left that alone. Then we get to the program files folder and everything is still there and I can't any of it! There are a couple of other left over files I can't delete and one folder which says it has 3 hidden files, but I can't seem to make them show themselves. I wish I had uninstalled each program individualy prior to getting rid of the first XP. I PM'd you a link to screen shot.

I was hoping to put in Firefox & Spybot right away, but I think it is better to wait until I hear from you.

Thanks again for everyting.
Manners

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
For the hidden files, have you set the folder view to show hidden files and folders in "Folder Options"?

I'd like to have a peek inside the folder with the long numeric name...can you open that and post a screenshot for me? Post a screenshot of the Program Files folder while open, too.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Hi Wannabe!
I pm'd you link to screenshots. Also, while I was uploading them, IE did a sudden disappearing act. Twice. I had 2 windows open at the time, if that means anything. I finally got SP2 & all of its updates in late last night. Didn't use afterwards, until now. All was fine before.

As always, your expertise and help is appreciated.
Manners

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Delete the folder with the long numeric name and then empty the recycle bin. This folder is from a torrent and is full of "not so good" things.

I see you have HiJackThis on the machine (in Program Files)...copy the HJT Setup file and paste it outside the Program Files folder in the C: directory. Double click on it to install HJT, run a scan saving a log, and paste the log here for me. This will allow me to see whats running and from where...it may help me to pinpoint the problems you are having.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
It won't delete. Recycle bin progress just stops. No mesage. I'll run HijackThis now.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Could't actually run HJThis from there so re-downloaded. Here it is:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:47:29 PM, on 1/21/2007

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWSO\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWSO\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWSO\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWSO\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWSO\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWSO\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWSO\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWSO\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~2\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\EzButton\CplBCL50.EXE
C:\WINDOWSO\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWSO\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWSO\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~2\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~2\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~2\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
C:\WINDOWSO\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINDOWSO\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWSO\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Family\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.coastacce...p?section=index
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~2\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CplBCL50] C:\Program Files\EzButton\CplBCL50.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWSO\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWSO\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1169360587515
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWSO\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~2\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~2\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~2\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWSO\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...nothing out of place that I can see. :whistling:

The folder may be too big to delete from Windows. If it is in the recycle bin, open the bin, right click on it, and restore it. Then open the folder, select a handful of files and delete them...empty the Recycle Bin and repeat the operation. If you run across a file that won't delete, make note of the name.

Let me know if you are able to do this.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I'm deleting them a few at a time from the folder itself and they LOOK like they are deleting but there is noting at all in the recycle bin!!!!!

So where are they going?????

(humming Twilight Zone theme)

Advertisements

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Also, the update folder in there has access denied message so cannot delete.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
With any luck at all, they're experiencing the ether of cyberspace... :whistling:

Anything that won't go, we'll get another way.

There were a bunch of pirate version files of Internet Explorer in that folder...once we are rid of that, we'll see if we can get your Internet Explorer going again. Then we'll attack some of the other folders.

Do you have the install disks for your Microsoft Office?

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
How would I get those? Had a real virus mess from when we stayed in a MN hotel (Oct 2005)and kids connected without firewall. Geekstogo solved it, but things were never quite the same.

Yes, I have Office disks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How would I get those?

They were downloaded and installed at one point by someone... :whistling:

They are not present in the new installation, only in that folder. There are other folders we'll need to get rid of, too...not as bad as that one, but just clutter. Office will have to be reinstalled to get it going again, but hold off till we get the clutter off the machine.

As you have only installed the few things you have, malware should not be an issue at this point.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I'm embarrassed about the clutter! When possibly guilty, always blame it on the teens anyway! LOL!!

So, where do we go from here?