Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Printing in Vista

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try installing the vista drivers that i linked for your printer on the client machine....obvioiusly have the XP drivers installed on the host machine as it's an xp machine....then try connecting to the shared printer again...there's also a chance that when installing the drivers on the client...that it will ask if it's a local setup or a network setup

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
It does ask that. I did that before the tech support guy made me uninstal them. I'll do it now and repost at the end.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Okay, I've installed the setup package on my laptop. It asked if it was a Network printer, and I entered the Computer and Printer name.

At the end of the setup, it asks me about my print cartridges. Once I select the correct cartidge models and select that they're old the ink meters grey out and have a "?" next to them.

Anyway, then I just click OK and it finishes installing. It also installs the scanner software too, which is a bit weird.

Anyway, the printer's in the Printers Folder. When I try to send a test page, a message appears saying "Communication not available. The printer cannot communicate with the computer. Try these solutions... (solutions) [Continue] [Cancel Printing]"

This is just as before.

[attachment=13623:Printer.png]

The file I downloaded from the website was a self-extracting archive file. It extracts files to C:\drivers\printer\X1100\. There's a folder in there called drivers, with a load of files in. You know you said earlier about individual inf files? Would the stuff in there be of any use now?

Edited by o2mcgovem, 23 March 2007 - 03:44 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Yes I agree that you should install the vista drivers on the xp & the vista machine.
The tech guy is right printers normally do have a range that the drivers work across.
in the sharing tab under additional drivers.
Can you try this for me.
1) start the install printer wizard.
2) choose local printer you will most likley get an error message saying no printer found.
3)click next
4)do you get an option to choose create a new port ? if yes then choose that this should give you a dropdown list
is there an option to choose tcpip

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Yes... It's there. Create new port: Standard TCP/IP Port.

Woow!

Um, now what? Lol.

Edited by o2mcgovem, 23 March 2007 - 04:32 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
do yo know the ip address of the computer that the printer is connected to

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Well, when I click TCP/IP Port it asks for

Device Type: Autodetect, TCP/IP Device, Web Services Device
Hostname or IP Address: [I would assume that would be "Kitchen" or the IP]
Port Name:
[ ] Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use.

No, but would I be able to get it by cmd > ipconfig? I'm sure I've done it like that before... 192.168 something?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
you will put this in eg 192.168.0.1 it should fill in the port name as IP_192.168.0.1

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
It doesn't seem to be able to find it.

Check out the screenshot...

[attachment=13624:Not_Found.png]

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
click custom then click settings is Raw checked ? if yes click ok if this won't print then can you print out a configuration page from the printer

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
RAW's checked. And in RAW settings it's port 9100.

A configuration page? Is that in printer properties as print a test page? When I did it earlier from the XP laptop it came out with a load of random C:\Windows\system32\spool stuff.

I'll print one from the desktop now, if that's what a configuration page is.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
no have a look in the manual
it should have how to prin a configuration page

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Right, okay. I'll just check.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I can't find it in the manual. I don't know if it'll be called something else. I printed a test page from the "Lexmark Solution Center". It was a nice picture of apples, but that can't be right.

I've uploaded the guide here to my webspace so you can check it out, incase I missed it or something. I searched for "configuration" and briefly scanned through it and didn't see it though. I also checked the help files it installed too... not there either.

Edited by o2mcgovem, 23 March 2007 - 05:17 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Just found the manual and am reading it now I have to go to work in a minute(sorry)
continue with the printer setup wizard from where we left it - does it install the printer