Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sending by Firefox Takes a Long Time and Bytes

• Please log in to reply

Learnatic

Learnatic

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
G'day Chums,
I have recently had very slow uploads using gMail and Firefox.
I sent a 2.2Mb file to a mate today and the attached 'Stopwatch' indicates what happened.
Can anyone explain why it takes (a) so much time and (b) why so much upload as well as download !!
Puzzleous to say the least.
Cheers,
Max.
Slw_Download.jpg
I have a 512kb/s download and 144kb/s upload. ( very fast for most of us Australians).

Attached Thumbnails

• Slw_Download.jpg

Edited by Learnatic, 10 May 2007 - 01:27 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Actual speeds will vary depending on the load on the system. You might have just picked a peak time, or some other fluke. To get an accurate idea of your service, test it with one of the internet speed testers over a longer period and calculate an average. Also, you can have a super fast connection, but if your friend's ISP only accepts info at a certain speed, that's all your download will transfer at.
HTH
Johanna

Learnatic

Learnatic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Thanks Johanna,
I've been noticing this has been happening a lot lately and, as indicated in the attachments, I sent a 2.2Mb file and it registered as Uploading 9.2Mb while (and as confusing) it appeared I Downloaded 6.4 Megs.
I have a maximum upload speed of 14.4kb/s and I sent this particular one to a friend who has Download speed of 51.2Kb/s.

Will take your advice and do some testing again tomorrow and measure at different times.
Cheers,
Max. (I've been to Ohio a few times), :-)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Here are a couple of places to test speed:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/
http://www.dslreports.com/stest
http://www.speedtest.net/
Johanna

Learnatic

Learnatic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hi Johanna,
Here's a copy of the test results.
Posted Image
Below are details and speed of a 130kb picture and 5 line text I sent to myself via Outlook.
Sending: Sending.jpg

Receiving: Receiving.jpg

It seems that sending either by gMail or Outlook, the file size is tripled and a download is registered of at least half the sent file.

I run NOD32 system and have ADSL 512/144

I use Firefox.

Cheers,
Max.

Learnatic

Learnatic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Further to the above, I add these pics I took tonight at 11:30
57_Kilobytes.jpg
I sent myself (to Outlook) three small pictures totalling about 57Kbytes.
I clicked on my 'Stopwatch' function in the DU Meter programme.
The 57Kb email required 231Kbytes of transmission.

The following attachment displays what happened when I sent a 122Kb file in the morning.
Over an hour and nearly tripling the size of file and more being downloaded than I sent.
DU_Meter_01.jpg

This afternoon I unchecked the "Check outgoing emails" in my NOD32 anti-virus so only received are scanned at the moment.
Hope this throws some light on the subject,
Cheers,
Max.