Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PhotoImpact 5

• Please log in to reply

GSDlady

GSDlady

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello-

I am new here so if this topic has already been covered and I missed it, please bear with me.

A few days ago I received my replacement notebook from Gateway and to my shock it has the dreaded VISTA Home Premium OS on it! I have been trying to install my PhotoImpact 5, but I keep getting this error message: "\PI5\SETUP.EXE." is missing. It always setup fine on ME and XP, so where would this .exe file have gone to anyway? And, is there a place where I can download this .exe? Then, once downloaded will I be able to finally install PhotoImpact 5? There is no online support any longer for this version through the PhotoImpact site.

I do not want to spend the bucks for a new FULL version of PhotoImpact 12 and I do not qualify for the half-price upgrade because the lowest acceptable version is version 6. Furthermore, I cannot access the code key without it being installed. The version I have has always worked just fine for me and is the one I am familiar with - haven't found anything I like better in a different program.

My ability level is a conservative intermediate with an excellent learning curve, so I am not affraid to tackle more complex problems.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of my plight.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you said replacement notebook. If it was replaced under warranty then it should be with the same operating system it originally had on it. If otherwise then you need to contact the manufacture and see if you can get windows xp for it. Your choices are really limited. You can upgrade your software or you can downgrade your operating system. Either way you will end up spending some money.

FYI, your software isn't compatible with Vista.

GSDlady

GSDlady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your input. Actually, this is the 4th replacement (yes 4th!!) computer from Gateway since March 2007 -- the original purchase was Jamuary 15, 2007. It's always the same problem and they never get it fixed. I've had the MX8710, MX8711, and two of the MX8715s. The only one with the XP was the first and I have talked to and complained to every level there is at Gateway without any success. Now I will turn it all over to the State here to get involved with consumer protection. I was seriously going to downgrade the last MX8715 and bought the full version of XP. Then I had second thoughts because they don't last long so why go through the trouble -- I bought a NEW HP DV8333CL with XP not Vista. So far not a problem at all with the HP and it's very fast, 7200 not 5400; plus 2GB RAM and 240GB HD (120 x 2) for $10.00 less than I paid for the Gateway. Yes, my PhotoImpact runs on this laptop/notebook. I'll just have to resolve my issues with Gateway through legal process. Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope things get resolved.