Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing start bar[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

x KJT x

x KJT x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you so much for helping me out.
I really needed it.
I hope everyone shows you guys the respect that you guys need.
You guys are the best.

ThanX!
xKJTx

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Your log is now clean. Can you give me a better explanation of your symptoms?

ScHwErV :tazz:

x KJT x

x KJT x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok I start up into normal mode it boots up the start bar frozen so I can't click on it. It has the hour glass mouse when I put my mouse over it. Then the splash screen of etrust antivirus then HJT loads and dose its scan. When its done booting I still can't click on anyof my startbar shortcuts it still has the hour glass and I don't see anything running in the systray. I ctrl,alt,del and turn off the rundll32.exe and then my statbar comes back and I can use it. I really can't remember what I did to make it this way.

ThanXs for all your help. If theres anything else we can do, I will stay in contacted.

xKJTx

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Since the only thing I see that may be causing your problem is your video card drivers, lets try updating them. Go to your computer manufacturer's website and look in their support section for updated drivers for your video card.

It should be pretty simple from there.

x KJT x

x KJT x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok this is the log after install of Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 N52 series Graphics Accelerator 128MB DDR AGP 8x.

When I was installing the it said the drivers that I was installing were older then the ones I already had on my CPU. But I did it anyways to see if it would fix it but then it said RUNDLL32.EXE was having problems Windows closed the .dll and then it restarted. But it did not fix the problem with my start bar. I don't know if you can help but heres the log after it started with the old/new drivers.

ThanX!

xKJTx

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:55:55 PM, on 04/26/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\isafe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Stardock\SDMCP.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VetMsg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VetTray.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\KaylieJoT\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\System32\Userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VetTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HijackThis startup scan] C:\Documents and Settings\KaylieJoT\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe /startupscan
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://www.bitdefend...can8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: MCPClient - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Stardock\mcpstub.dll
O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\isafe.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VetMsg.exe

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
x KJT x

Sorry about the wait, I had to consult with some of the other experts here to see if they had come across such a problem as yours. Lets try this.

First, please uninstall or reinstall StartDock. As this program "customizes" the windows interface, this could be the problem.

Give that a try and after a reboot, let me know how things are going.

x KJT x

x KJT x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok I tried to uninstall wintaskpro because StartDock is in it, and it came up with this message. (Its in the Attachment) I tried to install it again and then uninstall but still same message. Then it gives a third option to repair it and I tried it but still the same message.

If you can help me with this it might be solving my other problem with my startbar.

ThanX you guys are the best!

xKJTx

P.S.
If there is a way to just take wintask off my cpu some other way. That would be just fine I don't want it anyways.

Edited by x KJT x, 12 May 2005 - 01:18 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
We should be able to.

Reboot into safe mode.

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Please delete these folders using Windows Explorer(if present):

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Startdock\

Then reboot and see how things are working. You may get an error message, just ignore that for now, your start bar should work. If that doesnt work, we will do away with the entire wintools suite.

x KJT x

x KJT x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok I went into safe mode and tred to delete the folder that you said to but it came up with this message. (in the Attachment)

If theres anything else Im ready.

Edited by x KJT x, 12 May 2005 - 01:18 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Lets go after this a different way.

Click here to download Pocket Killbox by Option^Explicit. Extract it from the zip file then double-click on Killbox.exe to run it. Place the following lines (complete paths) in bold in the "Full Path of File to Delete" box in Killbox, and click the red button with the white X on it after each. Keep track of any files it tells you either could not be found or could not be deleted, as you'll need those later:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Startdock\

For the files that it either couldn't find or couldn't delete, in the killbox again this time, put a mark next to "Delete on Reboot". Copy and paste each file into the file name box, then click the red button with the X after each. It will ask you if you want to reboot each time you click it, answer NO until after you've pasted the last file name, at which time you should answer Yes.

If you receive a message such as: "Component 'MsComCtl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when trying to run TheKillbox, click here to download and run missingfilesetup.exe. Then try TheKillbox again.

Let me know how it goes.

Advertisements

x KJT x

x KJT x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
This is the log after I Killbox that folder stardock. My start bar didn't freeze and in the systray it said windows cd write has been disabled and windows is shuting down the files for it. (Or something like that)
I didn't get it all cause it came and left so quick. I was just thinking if windows has disabled my cd writing then I can't burn anything?

You are the best at this and I thank you so much.
If theres anything else you see wrong or you can help me with, that would be nice.

I for got to tell you that the stardock folder is still there and the files are still in it. But I really like that I don't have to kill the rundll32.exe file anymore.

ThanX
xKJTx

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:34:09 AM, on 04/30/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\isafe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VetMsg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VetTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\KaylieJoT\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\System32\Userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VetTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HijackThis startup scan] C:\Documents and Settings\KaylieJoT\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe /startupscan
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://www.bitdefend...can8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\isafe.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VetMsg.exe

Edited by x KJT x, 30 April 2005 - 03:47 AM.

x KJT x

x KJT x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I restarted my cpu and it did the error again and I got it!

xKJTx

Edited by x KJT x, 12 May 2005 - 01:16 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
The problem with a tool like the StartDock program is that because it is "customizing" windows, it sticks itself into every little crevase of the OS. Lets see if we can delete the folder manually now. Try to delete it in normal windows and if that doesnt work, try in safe mode.

Whether or not that works, you may have to uninstall and reinstall your CD writing software as the removal of startdock may have corrupted it.

Give that a shot and let me know how it comes out.

x KJT x

x KJT x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok the folder you are asking me to delete I have now realize that its diffrent then the one I have. <Startdock> is the folder that you want me to delete, but I have <Stardock>. Im not sure if thats the one Im suppose to delete. When I tried to delete it in safe mode it didn't want to but then when I ran Killbox it didn't delete it but it made my cpu better. My startbar is fine but I still get that message about cd writing desable when it boots up. But that folder <stardock> is still there. I did delete temp files that Killbox said I could then I checked the delete on reboot the folder <stardock> instead of <Startdock> which is not on my cpu and my start bar works. But it didn't delete that folder. I don't know if Im doing something wrong or if I did something right.
Please get back to me and tell me if everythings going to be alright.

ThanX you are the best.

xKJTx

This pic is the help it gives me after I click on the systray bobble that pops up and tells me that the cd writing has been disabled.

Attached Thumbnails

• CD_Write_ERROR2.JPG

Edited by x KJT x, 30 April 2005 - 03:49 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
My bad!!

StarDock is the folder that we are looking for. For some reason I kept wanting to put that extra t in there.

Did you try to update your roxio sofware?