Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup/log on/"new" firewall installed

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

Just digging my hole deeper!!! :) Win98 problems.

First I was becoming bothered by the fact Win98 would not go to sleep. I don't remember if I even have a Sleep option offered anymore! Other times I was getting frustrated that it would say it was Shutting Down but would lockup while Shutting Down. THEN I decided to look around online about some problem that kept coming up - discovered that I should have an older version (V5.5, build 2577) of Sygate firewall to get past that problem. Downloaded - and somewhere about then is when I could no longer get online!!

Tried "Allow All" with Sygate, Restarted and - same old problem. I turned of Sygate Firewall and AVG but still can't get online. Heck, Windows says it can't find anything - 192.168.1.254, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, Google - it always says - "Internet Explorer could not open the search page." This is the same response I've been getting. Before and after I let Registry Mechanic do it's thing!

BellSouth/ATT is my ISP. I use their Westell modem and a Linksys Router. I think tonight (with my work computer home) we are running a Mac, Win2000, WinXP and if it would work, Win98. I did use the the FastAccess DSL Help program offered thru BellSouth. In the test mode it always stops with "Failed" while testing computer.

Hmmm - found this . . .
I opened up the Router properties by typing 192.168.1.1 in the browser window via my XP PC which works.

Then I got the
LAN IP Address:

THen I got the DNS configuration.

Then I went to my 98 machine. Control Panel ->Networks

Then under TCP/IP I unchecked obtain IP address automatically and changed the IP address to: the Lan IP address

Then under DNS gateway (I think it was) I entered the DNS configuration numbers I got from the XP machine.
-*SIGH*- I never learn! I'll try the above - although I'm not sure which is the LAN or DNS numbers I need. (I don't have anything listed as LAN IP Address!) I'll restart and see what happens. . . .

Hmm - Wow - Big surprise!! Didn't do any good! Any help in using Win98 to get online? I'm using WinXP right now.
In that last little change I made - when I used the FastAccess program, the computer passed the test but then the Network failed. Now that I've put the computer back like it was -with the FastAccess test program - the Computer failed.
This leads me to believe I just need to input correct information on the Win98 and it will work again. Any help?

Any help?

Edited by bamakodaker, 06 November 2007 - 10:51 AM.

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
OK, Ok - short version - I can't get online. Other computers going through Linksys router and Westell DSL modem are having no problems. It's only the Win98. Something got changed on it. What should I check for?

In FastAccess test (part of BellSouth DSL program) it shows the computer to have failed in test report -
LOCAL MACHINE CHECK
Adapter Count = 2 - OK
Adapter#1 VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter
DHCP enabled
IP Addresses ip=169.254.239.27 mask=255.255.0.0 gateway= fail
Adapter#2 VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter
DHCP enabled
IP Addresses ip=169.254.24.25 mask=255.255.0.0 gateway= fail

Does that reveal anything?
bama

Edited by bamakodaker, 06 November 2007 - 10:53 PM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
HELP :) HELP :) HELP

OK here is how it went -
I kept having an error showing. Somewhere online I saw that Win 98 kept having issues with a certain version of Sygate firewall. They said I should get an older version. I deleted my first version of Sygate and got the older version installed. That may have been what started my problems.

LET ME START OVER

[/size]
I need a firewall for my Win 98. Yes, plain 98, not SE. Old computer is maxed out. I can not make it better. Just trying to work with what I have.

I've spent hours last night. Back trying this AM. Gonna be late to work and still can't get old computer going.

Turned off Sygate. No difference.

Somewhere I saw to check IP. Start>Run>CMD - my computer said it couldn't find file. So I did Start>Run>ipconfig - DOS window with info comes up VERY briefly before it closes out. Rebooted and it still just flashes onto screen briefly.

Start>Control Panel>Network

Client for Microsoft Network>Properties - only selected - Logon and restore network connections.

VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter>Properties -
Driver type -Enhanced mode (32 bit and 16 bit) NDIS driver
Bindings - 2 TCP/IP's listed, both selected
Advanced
Connection type - Auto-Negotiation
Flow Control - Hardware Default
Network Address - Not Present selected
Receive Buffers - value of 64
Transmit Buffers - 64
Wake on LAN event - OS Default Event

TCP/IP>Properties (both TCP/IP's are the same settings)
IP Address - obtain IP adress automatically
WINS Configuration - Use DHCP for WINS Resolution
Gateway - all blank
Bindings - Client for Microsoft Networks (only thing listed and is selected)
Advanced - Property has None listed
selected at bottom, Set this protocol to be the default protocol
NetBIOS - ?? looks like I want to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP has been selected but it
is "greyed" out and I can not select nor deselect.
DNS Configuration - Disable DNS is selected.

I'm way over my head but I have to keep trying. Any assistance would be EXTREMELY appreciated.
bama

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello bama,

I might be able to offer you some limited assistance.

Try uninstalling Sygate and using the Jetico Personal Firewall v.1.0 or Safety.Net:
http://www.jetico.com/download.htm
http://www.netveda.c...loads/index.htm

To get to the command prompt in Windows 98, you use command rather than cmd. Try running the ipconfig command from there.

Regards,

Ax