Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound [bleep]

• Please log in to reply

shanghaiman

shanghaiman

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi there,

i am experiencing a problem with the sound on my computer - getting massive digitisation, slowing down, distortion of itunes when i try and play.

i've know idea about the source of the problems however i've just changed the motherboard on my pc and currently i am getting two device errors:
1. multimedia audio controller, driver not installed error (according to everest home edition the device is Intel 8280 1EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller (A-2/A-3)
2. under system devices apparently intel 82865G/PE/PCV/82848P Processor to I/O Memory INterface - 2576 does not have drivers either

i've tried reinstalling with teh device manager wizard from the motherboard disk but to no avail. and am still experiencing the terrible sound in audio applications.

please help - this is driving me nuts!

shanghaiman

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

When you replaced the motherboard, did you also perform a fresh installation of XP? If not, then you ought to as it will be as buggy as a very buggy thing otherwise...

You also need to install the drivers that came with the motherboard by the sound of it - if you don't have the motherboard CD then download these from the manufacturers website, in particular, the chipset & audio driver.

shanghaiman

shanghaiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
cheers for the reply.

yes i did a fresh xp install, have tried to reinstall drivers from the cd that came with the motherboard but it is still problematic.

in between getting your reply i tried downloading drivers for the multimedia audio controller from intel and installing but half way through the system crashed. on rebooting several devices had corrupted drivers. i reinstalled all of these and the system says now that all these devices are working properly. however now when i boot itunes it says that there is a problem with the audio settings and doesn't even play any songs (before it was playing them but with very bad distortion).

the multimedia audio controller is still saying it doesn't have any drivers installed.

any help would be really appreciated.

thx,

shanghaiman

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, are you using the onboard sound card or do you have an add-on (ie PCI, PCI-E) sound card as well?

Can you tell me exactly what make & model your motherboard is please?

shanghaiman

shanghaiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yes i have an add-on pci sound card (mine is a music computer) - it's an edirol da-pci card. it plugs into an edirol da-2496 audio interface.

i live in china so the motherboard is actually chinese - the brand is jiesheng and the make is 865pe. it has an intel 865pe chipset. and the audio is listed as ac97.

shanghaiman

shanghaiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the id of the motherboard is:

08/29/2006-Springdale-G-6A79AD49C-00

shanghaiman

shanghaiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
this is the info on the soundcard:

AC'97 Audio Controller:
Audio Controller Type Intel 82801EB(M) ICH5
Codec Name Analog Devices AD1981B(L)
Codec ID 41445374h
S/PDIF Output Not Supported

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, it sounds like you need to disable the onboard audio (Intel AC97) in that case (this is usually done in the bios). The symptoms you have described sound like a resource conflict which is likely to be caused the fact you have 2 audio devices.

shanghaiman

shanghaiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi samm - thanks for this. i don't understand how to disable in bios. could you help me with that please?
really appreciate your time :)
shanghaiman

shanghaiman

shanghaiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
okay have figured out how to disable the ac97 in the bios.

whilst pops and clicks/digitization on playback of sounds is not as bad as before it is still there.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, thanks for the update. Funnily enough, my house mate has a computer for he uses exclusively for audio (recording/editing etc), which I built for hyim a few years ago, so I know a bit about this...

The popping/clicking is most likely to be caused by an resource conflict, as I already mentioned. The fact that it has improved a bit since you disabled the onboard audio, would seem to back my theory up. However, there's still a chance that the resource allocation is a problem because you are still experiencing the clicking noises.

Windows 2000/XP are set up as ACPI machines by default - this means that they utilise IRQ (resource) Sharing. Traditionally each device required an IRQ assigned exclusively, but IRQ sharing allows multiple devices to share a single IRQ. This works fine in most cases.... but there are exceptions. Certain sound cards can be one of these exceptions. Unfortunately, ACPI does not allow you to manually reassign a resource. You may be able to do this by simply moving the sound card to a different PCI slot but often this won't work.

First of all lets check to see if the da-2496 is sharing an IRQ:
Go to Start -> Run and type : devmgmt.msc [click ok]
In device manager, click on 'View' -> 'Resources by type' then expand the IRQ branch.
Locate the da-2496 and make a note of which IRQ number it is assigned to. Also make a note of any other devices that use this same IRQ number.

Let me know what you find out...

shanghaiman

shanghaiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi samm,
attached below is what it is saying.
the device is listed as edirol da-pci (the edirol pcr is an external middle controller keyboard, and the da-2496 is the audio interface that connects to the da-pci)
shanghaiman

Attached Files

shanghaiman

shanghaiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
another thing.

the sound problems are worst by a mile in itunes (latest version downloaded).
in some of my other audio applications i'm not getting the problem.
what is happening is that there seem to be massive cpu spikes every now and again whilst using itunes.

one theory i have is that i recently installed a new harddrive which houses my itunes files and my pictures. this means that my pc has two harddrives - the first one that is partitioned into c(system) and d-drives and is in fat-32 file type. then the new one which is formatted in nfts file type (there was no other option for fat32 when i formatted it).

hence itunes is running from the system c-drive in fat32 file type whilst playing mp3/4 files from the other hard-drive which is in nfts format. could this contribute to the problem?

shanghaiman

shanghaiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
bump!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

In fact, according to the device manager screen shot you provided, your IRQ assignments are no where near as bad as I expected - often windows 2000/XP will stick just about every non legacy device on the same IRQ but in your case your sound card is only sharing with one of the USB controllers.

I'll look into it a bit more and get back to you shortly. Out of interest though, is the second hard drive that you mentioned, an internal drive or external one?