Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Drivers for Gateway GM5472

• Please log in to reply

KimScoop

KimScoop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes. But I'll be doing a shutdown when I leave, so I will get back to you Monday and see if that helped.

Advertisements

KimScoop

KimScoop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Oh my. I didn't realize that this had still been hanging out here so long. We've had other issues with that machine (networking) and I completely forgot about still needing the last two things fixed.

Wannabe1, your last suggestion was to check it on restart. It has not changed.

I really appreciate your help from before--I apologize again for letting this drop for two weeks.

emp500

emp500

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been following this thread with interest since I was considering buying one of these computers. During my research I came about this post : http://www.epinions.com/content_416303844996
Aparently the AverMedia TV card is not backward compatible to XP. But someone wrote a driver for it, which is supposed to be available on the company site.

KimScoop

KimScoop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
That's what I was afraid of, Emp500. But thanks for the heads-up on the company site--I will get that driver and see if it works!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm going to throw in a very late recommendation, but it may be something to think about.

1. Save all the drivers you've located, then restore Vista, wiping out XP.
2. Install XP along side of Vista so you have a dual-boot setup and can move back and forth between the two.

Several advantages to this setup.

1. You can learn Vista at your leisure, maybe evaluate for your company.
2. You will have full use of all the hardware on the computer.
3. You can continue to work on XP drivers as needed.

If interested, see here for some help: http://apcmag.com/54...ng_vista_and_xp

Of course, if your company absolutely will not allow this then forget it. I know if I had a new Vista box this is what I'd do.