Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Antivirus Do You Use?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Norton has improved slightly with their new 360 version, but they still don't justify their price, and still not the lightest products on the market, not mentioning low detection rates...

Not to mention it seems to just interfere with a lot of other apps - I don't know if it's because it's trying to protect too much, or if it's such a resource hog, but I keep finding threads in which people are having issues with Norton 360. You just don't find that much with a lot of the other AVs out there.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Hi Fredil!I'm just curious,what is the price of Kaspersky in the states?Here in greece it's36euros.I paid 45Euros for my Panda AntiVirus&Firewall2008(for 3 PC's)!

We sell the commercial version for $69.00 (1 user)

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Hi Fredil!I'm just curious,what is the price of Kaspersky in the states?Here in greece it's36euros.I paid 45Euros for my Panda AntiVirus&Firewall2008(for 3 PC's)!

We sell the commercial version for $69.00 (1 user)

:) WOWnow i understand why you guy's are using free AntiVirus software!I think you guy's should come to greece,stay at my place,buy your software and go back home!It's cheaper than buying it in the states :) :) Makes me wonder what you are paying for hardware!I just got the other day a external hdd(my book 250GB)for that price!

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Well, I bought a 320 GB pata drive for $79, so it's not THAT bad. But the software kills. Have you seen the price of Norton?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Norton? Have you seen the price of Microsoft Office Ultimate? http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116162

That is $200 cheaper than Circuit City.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm going to commit a crime and jump in on this thread here... :)

What does anyone know about CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2008? Any good reviews I can read on it? It's a freebie by redemption for a large purchase I recently made.

Troy

vorybory

vorybory

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
AVG AntiVirus-- I used to use Norton back in the day but it was way too resource hoggy.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
I'm using McAfee, bit of a resource hog but hasn't done me wrong so far, although firewall customization could be better.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Norton = Rootkit. *shudder* Can't stand the program. Not only is it cruddy and hogs everything on your system... it's near impossible to entirely remove the sucker from a computer!

*Kat pets her Nod32 and purrrrrrrrrsssssssssssssssss

'nuff said

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Agreed.

Troy, as for CA, I believe you could do better. From what I hear, though, it's not HORRIBLE.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Troy, as for CA, I believe you could do better. From what I hear, though, it's not HORRIBLE.

Well it is a freebie, that's all. I'm just wondering if it's going to be worth bothering putting it on my system.

I use avast! I reckon it's awesome, like what happyrck was saying, many different options, and I find it very light on resources.

Troy

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Troy go with what you know and like. Just because its a freebie doesn't mean anything - except maybe they couldn't sell themselves because they aren't so good that they had to give them away to try and get some recognition!

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Yes... I like avast!... except that its siren sounds like what I expect the US's nuclear alert siren to sound like :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Yes... I like avast!... except that its siren sounds like what I expect the US's nuclear alert siren to sound like :)

It has a siren? :)

*troy really needs new hearing aids...

xucphra

xucphra

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
AVG. It's simplest to use and has the least problems that I know