Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan? Virus? Blue Screen. help [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Greetings from sunny Cornwall :)

The logs do not look to bad how is your system running at the moment ?

Advertisements

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Actually they seem to be running better. The speed seems better and I have tried opening a few programs which had previously presented problems and they seemed to open o.k. No real attempt was made to do too much because I did not want to 'bugger-up' the situation before you had a chance to look at things and "direct me". It seemed that doing something in the middle of a repair job could louse up what you were trying to do.
((I also didn't see there was a page two so have come back here about 4 times since posting thus sorry for the tardiness. Old guys get like that I guess.

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Would it be impertinent to ask if utilizing a different anti-virus software might be in order. I have not been 100% happy with N. 360. One cannot check individual files or folders and the updating seems less than desireable. The software could not even find the problem, and when informed symantec offered to repair the issue for $100.
Likewise I was impressed with Tune Up Utilities. Would it be wise for this user to invest in that piece of software?
Probably because of the nature of this site you can not advertise, understood. However would a little, shall I say, direction from you on those two querys be out of order?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Would it be impertinent to ask if utilizing a different anti-virus software might be in order. I have not been 100% happy with N. 360. One cannot check individual files or folders and the updating seems less than desireable. The software could not even find the problem, and when informed symantec offered to repair the issue for $100.
Likewise I was impressed with Tune Up Utilities. Would it be wise for this user to invest in that piece of software?
Probably because of the nature of this site you can not advertise, understood. However would a little, shall I say, direction from you on those two querys be out of order?

Not really as anything I say here is my own personal opinion, I do not work for any security company, and I to am old enough to speak my mind :)

Antivirus : The one I use is Avast, I like it because it auto updates generally once a day and I have had four in one day, never caught a virus although the webshield element has saved me from the odd drive by malware. Light on resources and free. You can schedule a boot scan i.e. before windows loads along with the malware. There is a right click option to scan individual files. It also checks e-mails, IM and P2P downloads

Tuneup utilities is one of the few programmes I have actually bought, along with Superantispyware. And along with Spyware blaster and Auslogics free defragmenter is the sum total of my Security, maintenance programmes. I can give you links and installation instructions for these if you wish. But be aware Norton is like a virus to remove :) so they have made a tool especially to do that.

But if you are happy with the way your system is running now - what can I say but ......

Lets do a final check for orphan registry entries and stray files

Download and then run SuperAntispyware
  • On the first page select Check for Updates
  • On completion select SCAN YOUR COMPUTER
  • On the next page select COMPLETE SCAN and tick ALL your drives
  • The next stage will take a while as your entire drive(s), memory and registry are scanned
  • When it has completed click NEXT
  • The next screen shows the problems found click OK
  • On the next screen place a tick against all items and select NEXT
  • Now to get the log Go to the PREFERENCES button on the right bottom
  • Select the STATISTICS/LOG tab
  • Highlight the scan just completed and click VIEW LOG
  • This will open a notepad text file copy and paste this to your next reply

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
First:
The log file from SuperAntispyware:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 02/10/2008 at 08:29 PM

Application Version : 3.9.1008

Core Rules Database Version : 3399
Trace Rules Database Version: 1391

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:16:08

Memory items scanned : 553
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 7344
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 70362
File threats detected : 11

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Toshiba\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Toshiba\Cookies\toshiba@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Toshiba\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Toshiba\Cookies\[email protected][3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Toshiba\Cookies\toshiba@adbrite[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Toshiba\Cookies\toshiba@xiti[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Toshiba\Cookies\toshiba@atdmt[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Toshiba\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Toshiba\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Toshiba\Cookies\toshiba@pro-market[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Toshiba\Cookies\toshiba@overture[2].txt

This time I turned on my E:\Drive (which we had not looked at prior to now because I had not thought of it. It is used pricipally as a back-up drive). The results found all of the problems on c:\ the main drive. "D" has to be 'mounted' and unmounted to my laptop when used and is a bit of a pain in the butt in that it often is not recognized and then when it is it comes up with the "Yellow ?mark" require one to erase it and try a remount. It gets there sooner or later. That is why it is not always 'thought of').

Secondly: I would appreciate the advice you offered in the previous post re: the other programs. Truthfully I have never been truly satisfied with Norton. It is a memory hog and no doubt plays a role in the computer loading so slow. It is often 3 to 4 minutes to load. When first purchased it loaded in less than a minute. Admittedly it had few fonts, programs etc. on board as contributing factors but it still moves like a overfed old hippo.
The computer is a Toshiba Laptop with 1 gig on board and a 128 mg dedicated memory card. Not sure why that was worth mentioning but it at least lets you know what it is you have been working with (which, as I look above is perhaps self evident).

Third;
In case the opportunity does not present itself may I express my thanks for the time that you have spent working with someone half a world away in Middlesex County in Canada. You have been thorough, helpful and helped me to learn a few things along the way. That you spend this time assisting others deserves my thanks and gratitude.
Put simply: Thank You

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Tracking cookies only on SAS which is good. Yep Norton is a bit of a hog - the programmes I use are all very light on resources

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :)

You may now delete the programmes I had you download

Now to get you off to a good start we will re-set your restore points so that all the bad stuff is gone for good. Then if you need to restore at some stage you will be clean. There are several ways to reset your your restore point but this is my method:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore.
2. On the dialogue box that appears select Create a Restore Point
3. Click NEXT
4. Enter a name e.g. Clean
5. Click CREATE

You now have a clean restore point, to get rid of the bad ones:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup.
2. In the Drop down box that appears select your main drive e.g. C
3. Click OK
4. The System will do some calculation and the display a dialogue box with TABS
5. Select the More Options Tab.
6. At the bottom will be a system restore box with a CLEANUP button click this
7. Accept the Warning and select OK again, the program will close and you are done

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free program:
  • SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place.
It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klien: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Keep safe :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Now that that bit is over the instalation for a new AV

Download the Norton removal tool from here http://service1.syma...005033108162039 and save to your desktop

Next Please go HERE and download avast! 4 Home Edition to your desktop.

Disconnect from the internet

Please go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove the following (if present):

Anything called Norton or Symantec

You will need to reboot

Now run the Norton removal tool, you may need another re-boot

Locate and run the Avast setup File (sreng.exe)
Click Next on the avast! Setup window and on the next window with the ReadMe File.
Now you will see the Legal Agreement, just click I agree, and then click Next to continue.

You will be prompted with Configuration window, make sure that you choose Typical configuration and then click Next. Click Next to the windows that will follow, when the installation will finish, you will be given an option to schedule a boot time scan, select No

Now you have to restart your machine, select Restart and then click Finish.

After you restart you will get a message about avast! it will give you the general "Hello and Thank you for choosing our Product." Also after you restart you will notice 2 new icons in the bottom right corner of the screen.

VERY IMPORTANT - after restarting, right click on the a in the taskbar and select Updating, then highlight and click Program.

You will get popup after its done updating. If avast! had to download anything for your computer you may get a message asking you to restart.

After you have updated avast! right click the small icon a in task bar and click Start Avast! AntiVirus

Click Program Registration and you will be taken to their website. Fill out the form and then check you e-mail. Once you get an e-mail from them (usually about 1 minute after submitting the form) copy and paste the serial they provided into the highlighted box. Then click ok.

After this, you may want to Schedule a Boot-Time Scan with avast! Click on the little button placed up in the left corner, and select Schedule Boot-Time Scan. Read also this tutorial HERE it may make it easier to you to follow the steps.

Next, choose
  • Scan all local disks
  • scan archive files
  • click on Schedule
On the next dialog Operating system restart needed select Yes
Now avast! will restart your computer and start to scan before Windows fully loads.

IMPORTANT NOTE If anything is detected avast! will give you dialog box with recommended actions, and options, please make sure if this happens, to click the Move to Chest button, and not to delete any reported files.

Spywareblaster download and install the programme
On completion it will offer to update the programme - allow it to
When it has downloaded then select enable all protection.
Close it down then forget about it until you do a monthly update

SAS and Tuneup you already have

Auslogics disk defragmenter http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag download and install - then run. I would recommend a monthly defrag

If you have any questions just shout

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
Following the advice set forth I got to the UPDATE Windows 'task'. Chose Express install. It began and then presented me with the following message after supposedly downloading installing the updates. Unable to install because the following file "Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1".
I checked the Automatic Updater (shield at bottom in task bar) and it suggested there were 80 updates waiting to be installed.
Even more interesting when I went to the Troubleshooting area of MS (by clicking on that area in the updater area) it suggested that the very file was successful on Feb.08, 2008.
Assuming a mistake I double checked the auto downloader to see its settings and it was on automatic (every night at 6pm) thus puzzlement increased.
Repeated the whole procedure. Same results.
Any ideas?

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Yes. The win xp is legal. Came with the computer and has been on update automatic forever.
From "System" the following info:
MS Windows
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Download and install a fresh copy of the installer from here http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en run it and let me know of any error messages that you might get. I will meanwhile research this problem, I believe I have come across it before

Advertisements

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
installed it.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Can you try the updates now - still looking

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Installed; re-tried;failure. Tried re-booting and re-install; failure. The list of failed files is long but it does seem to come down to that one file as the culprit.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Process of elimination time, in the list to install unmark the problem one to get the rest installed - then can you give me the KB number of the culprit

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Following is the url of the file it first reports is not downloading. I could not find the size of the files because in the installation screen it only lists the files with no info. This one was the one it kept giving me info on BUT when getting to the page it says install was successful under STATus.

http://www.update.mi...t.aspx?ln=en-us

I keep looking for the various files ... somewhere but keep coming up blind.
Apologies