Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

about:blank

• Please log in to reply

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
if word has capitalized code that should be lower case, problems may occur.

is there javascript in the code?

Advertisements

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I did it in HTML, would that have javascript?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
it appears the the word generated html file is not the cause of the problem.

the code below replaced the word file and the results remain the same.

conclusion - the web site code is eliminated as the cause

I am not an expert on browsers, so will defer to others. this appears to be a problem with the IE browser.

some possible options:
1. update IE
2. remove and reinstall IE
3. try Firefox(or other browser)
4. have a browser expert step in and give assistance

<html>
<head>
<title>simple html</title>
</head>
<body>
as simple as it gets
<br>
<a href="http://www.google.com/">google
</a>
</body>
</html>

Phenix

Phenix

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Why even use IE. I don't think I have opened mine for 6 months and the only reason I did was to run a kaspersky scan which requires it.

But for news sites and any other time of normal browsing

Here are 2 more secure browsers to choose from
1)Firefox -> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
2)Opera -> http://www.opera.com/

----------------------

If you really want IE to work then I would try the following:

1) Backup your registry before making any changes
2)Click the Start Orb and type regedit in the search bar - hit enter
3) Navigate to the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\DefaultPrefix
IN the Right Pane -> double click the Key "(Default)" -> and ensure that its value is set as: http://

4) Navigate to the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\Prefixes
IN the Right Pane -> double-click the key "www" -> and ensure that its value is set as: http://

Click Ok -> Exit Regedit -> Reboot

Edited by Phenix, 07 May 2008 - 10:00 AM.

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi Phenix,

In answer to why I use IE: At one time (a long time ago, admittedly) I tried another browser, Netscape and it messed up my computer big time. So ever since then, I have been hesitant to try another. Also, I was wary of having to learn and get used to a whole new set up.

I tried your suggestion. The registry had the values set as you have indicated. Then I rebooted and I am still plagued with the same problem.

Phenix

Phenix

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
You may need to re-register the following .dll

Copy-Paste the following in Vista's Start Search Bar:
regsvr32 /s urlmon.dll

and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, which runs it as administrator

Edit: Now that I looked it up there may be more

you may have to do the same for the following .dll's as well

* Mshtml.dll
• Actxprxy.dll
• Oleaut32.dll
• Shell32.dll
• Shdocvw.dll

so for example you would type regsvr32 /s Mshtml.dll

Supporting Microsoft Document = http://support.micro...b/281679/EN-US/

Edited by Phenix, 07 May 2008 - 11:28 PM.

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I looked at the Supporting Microsoft Document. That is not the problem I have. I get the webpage, but it shows up in a previous browser (stealing an existing browser-therefore losing a previously pulled up webpage.)

Phenix

Phenix

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hello,

This is the problem:

If I have a browser (for instance opened to a news website) open and then I open a second one and click a link off my homepage or other pages it opens a third page with the about:blank in the address bar and the page itself is blank. Then the page for the link shows up in the first browser and of course I lose the news webpage I was on.

I'm sure you can see why I thought what I still do

I still think you may need to re-register those .dll's

I'm sure somebody already checked that your Java Runtime is up to date and that you removed older versions

---------------------------------------------------------------

The only other thing I can think of is a problematic add-on, here is how you may be able to manage it:

Click the Tools button, click Manage Add-ons, and then click Enable or Disable Add-ons.

Open a web page and click the link causing your problem to occur, then in the Show box,
• Click Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer. This will show only the add-ons that were loaded at that time

• Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.

Hopefully this will be able to help you, if not I really can't think of anything else that would cause this problem

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
When I press CTRL SHIFT ENTER, I get a permission to continue screen, I say CONTINUE and then that permission screen disappears and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? (I logged in as the administrator)

Phenix

Phenix

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Sorry, about that. Go to start -> all programs -> accessories -> Right click on Command prompt and select run as administrator

Then from the elevated command prompt proceed with registering the .dll file

It should say .dll successfully registered afterwards

Advertisements

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ok, I did that. Here is the result:

Mshtml.dll and Shdocvw.dll both got this error code: The module"Mshtml.dll" (and then Shdocvw.dll) was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.
Make sure that "Mshtml.dll" (and then Shdocvw.dll) is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

for Actxprxy.dll and Oleaut32.dll I got: The module "Actxprxy.dll" (and then Oleaut32.dll) was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005.
For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term.

Urlman and Shell succeeded.

Phenix

Phenix

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
1) I think I remember reading that you uninstalled/reinstalled IE7. Did you disable your anti-malware applications before doing this?

Here is why I ask = A common way anti-malware applications protect your computer is by preventing writes to certain registry keys used by IE. Any registry key write that fails during setup will cause setup to fail and rollback changes. They work around the problem in most instances by checking permissions at the beginning of setup, but many anti-malware programs monitor the key rather than change permissions. Therefore, setup thinks it has access when it starts, but then fails when it later attempts to write the key.

2) After reading more of the knowledgebase Vista probably blocked those protectively, as they are not compatible with IE7. As long as urlmon.dll registered successfully.

3) You can now try resetting Internet Explorer to all default settings = you will lose any auto-complete form info such as saved passwords
1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Note If you cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

4) After preforming RIES and cosing reopening IE see if it works

Edited by Phenix, 09 May 2008 - 08:11 AM.

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I didn't reinstall IE

Phenix

Phenix

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Did you try doing the complete reset through IE?

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
No, how do I do that?