Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to detect existing antivirus software?

• Please log in to reply

Vickeye

Vickeye

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm having trouble installing antivirus software onto my boyfriends laptop.
He's always used Windows Live OneCare but when his subscription ran out he used the 90 day free trial. The last time that ran out I was able to install it again but this time it won't install despite me removing the old one. Instead I get error code 0044 80070641 which means nothing to me!
I then decided to install AVG, the free version which I used to use on my PC with no probs but I get halfway through installing it and it tells me there's already antivirus or other security operating on the system but I can't find it! I deleted any trace of OneCare and still I can't install anything.
I'm currently typing all this and using the web with no antivirus installed, can anyone help please? I need antivirus asap!
Thanks.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Vickeye,

That code means that part of OneCare is still present, so it won't install successfully. I did find this link, which links to a removal tool for OneCare. I would try that first, then try re-installing AVG.

Vickeye

Vickeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi, thanks for getting back to me.
I ran that uninstall thing but it didn't seem to help with AVG so I sacked AVG for Kaspersky instead. The only problem is it can't install properly because the Windows Installer Service can't be accessed. It says that it's either because I'm working in Safe Mode (which I'm not unless my boyfriend forgot to tell me something!) or the Windows Installer isn't correctly installed. I've just run the Windows Installer only to get the same message come up. So in short, the Windows Installer can't be accessed so nothing else can and I still don't have antivirus! *deep breath* I'm flummoxed, what am I doing wrong?

Vickeye

Vickeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I still don't have any antivirus, please help! My boyfriend is going several shades of purple at the thought his laptop being attacked!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Vickeye,

Is the laptop running XP? This article on Microsoft describes your problem and gives instructions on fixing it. I would try registering that file first and seeing if that works. If not, and you want to try the registry fix, please let me know so we can make sure you back up your registry first.

sari

Vickeye

Vickeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've just got to step 6 in those instructions and I don't know what to do and I can't go back either. I'm utterly hopeless at these kinds of things and I'm even more worried now-eep!

EDIT: I think I've backed up the registry because I've created a restore point? I just don't know how to verify that the system has access permissions to the whatchamacallit mentioned on that Microsoft page!

Edited by Vickeye, 10 September 2008 - 05:18 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Don't panic - we'll get it fixed. I'm not at my computer right now, but let me see if someone else can pop in and help out.

Vickeye

Vickeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks Sari.
I'm terrified about leaving the computer on now but I can't turn it off either!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you've done a restore point then you've backed up your registry...but if you want to be absolutely sure do this

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.

other than that step six is self explanatory...jut calm down and follow their steps

and once you do those steps go here and download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package and run it according to the MS instructions...

if neither of those things help we can take it from there....but the most important thing is you need to stay calm and not freak out...if you wig out you're going to get impatient and you're going to make a mistake that we might not be able to fix

also you don't mention anything that would make me concerned about you turning the laptop off while it's not being used...and there's absolutely no reason to leave it connected to the internet unless you need to download something like the tools we suggest that you use

Vickeye

Vickeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok, good news!
I carried on with the fix for the Windows Installer and it seems to have worked. However, I still can't install any antivirus software because there's still antivirus/security software on the system and I can't find it-STILL!! I used the OneCare cleanup twice so surely it can't still be that? I can't find any trace of anything else but maybe I'm not looking hard enough?
My computer once brought me such pleasure but is now turning into an instrument of torture!!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you restart the machine after running the one care cleanup tool?

Vickeye

Vickeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yep, both times.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.askdaveta...ws_onecare.html here are some decent steps for getting rid of all of one care

personally i'd skip to step 6...though if you do step 5 just look for anything that says onecare in the services menu (might be there)

make sure you back up the registry first

Vickeye

Vickeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok, it's found something. It's the OneCare Live backup engine.dll and underneath that is something called 'Threading Model' with 'FREE' underneath the data part. Is it these I have to delete?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
which "it's"? the registry search?