Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting Hardrive and installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Greg,

I was thinking... do you have a digital camera? If you do, can you take a photo of the inside of the case so I can try to identify how many IDE/PCI cards you have. The IDE slots are brown, the PCI slots are white and the AGP slot (if any) could be orange, or any other color. Whatever the case, the video card normally sits closest to the CPU... this is just info as we already know what vid card you have. Also, a photo of the back of the case would be helpful.

Advertisements

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Great to hear Windows went in. Did you install the chipset and vid driver also?

I did install the chipset and video driver. I will get hoppin' on the other stuff you mentioned and see what I find.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Greg,

I was thinking... do you have a digital camera? If you do, can you take a photo of the inside of the case so I can try to identify how many IDE/PCI cards you have. The IDE slots are brown, the PCI slots are white and the AGP slot (if any) could be orange, or any other color. Whatever the case, the video card normally sits closest to the CPU... this is just info as we already know what vid card you have. Also, a photo of the back of the case would be helpful.

Yes, I can do that.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Greg,

Yes, I can do that.

Also, can you tell me how I can attach those pics to a post for you?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

No problemo!

The first requirement is that the size of the photos you add must not exceed 500KB Total. So if your photos have a size of greater than 500K you have to resize them.

Right click on the photos and choose properties to see how big they are. If they are under 500KB then all you have to do is upload them to your post.

The way to upload them is to click on the "Browse" button in the lower right hand corner below the posting window. When you do that, the File Upload window will open. You need to browse to where the first photo is and click on it, then click on "OPEN". You will then see some text next to the Browse button. Next click on "UPLOAD". The file will then upload to GTG. Next, click on the "down arrow" next to where you see "Manage Current Attachments"... then click on the file that shows up there.

The thing to know is that whereever your cursor is at the time is where the photo will be placed. So move your cursor to where you want the photo to show up.

Edited by makai, 12 December 2008 - 08:45 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

No problemo!

The first requirement is that the size of the photos you add must not exceed 500KB Total. So if your photos have a size of greater than 500K you have to resize them.

Right click on the photos and choose properties to see how big they are. If they are under 500KB then all you have to do is upload them to your post.

The way to upload them is to click on the "Browse" button in the lower right hand corner below the posting window. When you do that, the File Upload window will open. You need to browse to where the first photo is and click on it, then click on "OPEN". You will then see some text next to the Browse button. Next click on "UPLOAD". The file will then upload to GTG. Next, click on the "down arrow" next to where you see "Manage Current Attachments"... then click on the file that shows up there.

The thing to know is that whereever your cursor is at the time is where the photo will be placed. So move your cursor to where you want the photo to show up.

OK, here goes...I took 4 pics of the PC. I'm not a photographer, and I sure don't keep camera parts for 21 years :) , but I think these turned out alright.

[attachment=25387:PC1.JPG]

Now, I tried to upload 3 additional pics for you, but I keep getting the message, "Upload failed. The file was larger than the available space", even though the 3 pics are less than 500K in size. It also indicates that Attachment space used 274.7K of 500K. Can my 4 pics not exceed 500K total?

Edited by konakula29er, 12 December 2008 - 09:12 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Oops! Sorry, I assumed you knew that for internet use, you shouldn't use such high res photos. Please resize the photos to something like 640 x 480. I think GTG recommends 800 x 600. Sorry Greg!

And yes... the TOTAL is 500Kbs

Edited by makai, 12 December 2008 - 09:21 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Let me try this again...

[attachment=25388:PC2.JPG]

[attachment=25389:PC3.JPG]

OK, I think I understand. 4th pic will be on next post below.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Sorry I ended up doing it like this. It looks like all pics for one post cannot exceed 500K. Well, now I know.

4th pic:

[attachment=25390:PC4.JPG]

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No problem, we got what we wanted.

There are no PCI cards installed. In fact everything is "onboard" that means the audio is probably AC97... I just don't know which version. Don't worry, we'll try something later.

From the photos, I can see the word Intel stenciled near the bar code sticker. This may be the motherboard identifier. Do you see any numbers like a model number anywhere near the Intel stencil.

Advertisements

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

No problem, we got what we wanted.

There are no PCI cards installed. In fact everything is "onboard" that means the audio is probably AC97... I just don't know which version. Don't worry, we'll try something later.

From the photos, I can see the word Intel stenciled near the bar code sticker. This may be the motherboard identifier. Do you see any numbers like a model number anywhere near the Intel stencil.

Yeah, it looks like the following:

Intel Desktop Board
D845GEBV2/D845PESV

Also,

Intel D845GEBV2/D845PESV
C12364-001

is located on a label on the interior bottom of the case.

Is that what you're looking for?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I looked in the BIOS screens to determine the what BIOS is running. What I found was this:

BIOS Version RG84510A.86A.0022.P12

I'm not sure that's what you're looking for though.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yahhhhhhhh Babeeeee!!!!!!!! :help: :) :) :) :) :)

This is it!!!!!! :) :) :wave:

I'm all excited now! I think we'll actually be able to succeed! I have to go looking for the correct drivers for the Ethernet and the Audio. I think I already have to Ethernet, but now that I know what motherboard it is, I want to double check it before giving you the link. I'll be back shortly!

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Yahhhhhhhh Babeeeee!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :woot:

This is it!!!!!! :) :) :wave:

I'm all excited now! I think we'll actually be able to succeed! I have to go looking for the correct drivers for the Ethernet and the Audio. I think I already have to Ethernet, but now that I know what motherboard it is, I want to double check it before giving you the link. I'll be back shortly!

:help: ok, ok, ok... :) :) :)

I'm excited now...SWEET!!!!!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, the link page for drivers for this motherboard is HERE.

There appears to be some different drivers than what you installed per the data we collected with WinAudit. Not to worry as what's on the linked page may be updated drivers, and sometimes the newer drivers do nothing towards operation. We'll look at that later as we check the operation of Windows.

For now, download the AC97 driver for the audio/sound and install it. (item 5 in the driver list)

As for the Ethernet, the link I originally had was from the data we took, which identifed the network device as Intel Pro/100VE. However the motherboard link identifies the LAN (network) as something different. In any case, we're going to go with whats on the motherboard link, so download the LAN software and install it. (item 6 in the driver list)

You DO NOT need to download or install any other driver on the page.

After you install, check Device manager and see if all the marks are now cleared.