Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Disappering and Driving me NUTS... :/

• Please log in to reply

LaLa ALa

LaLa ALa

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey!

Ima newbie here so I'm not sure where to start but here goes...

I bought a new computer six-months ago, and I made the stupid decision to upgrade to Vista from XP. For the past two months Vista has been NOTHING but TROUBLE. It first crashed two weeks before Christmas (great present, eh?) and everything happened... at this point i dont remeber what exactly (but i did get several errors then got the Blue Screen of Death), fortuntaly i was able to somehow fix it after 3 days nonstop and i have no idea how. i followed A LOT of advice from different forums and something stuck.

Then two weeks later... BAM. again. same crap (except the Death Screen) but easier to fix as it only took me several hours then again a few days after that the same thing. Even made the decision to reinstall over the original Vista so it doesnt happen again but ... computer was Fixed, it was fine, then today. BAM.

Ima bout to lose it and the next time this happenes Im ready to just throw my computer OUT the WINDOW!!!

So heres what i figured is the problem though i have no idea how it happenes, why, or how to fix it.

The problem, when it does happen... No operating system shows up on start up... (now this doesnt happened all the time as WHEN i do get into my computer and it works fine, until this happenes again.)

I am up to date on all Vista Updates. But it doesnt seem to be a problem as i did this about 2 weeks ago and everything was fine.

I dont know what computer info i'm supposed to supply and where to find it.

What i have done to try and fix this since it started happening in December is (and hasnt worked):

System Restore
Vista reinstallation (not a Clean one, on top of the current.)
ChkDsk
Last Good Configuration
System Repair from Installation CD
Virus Scans
PC clean up (Auslogics, Boost Speed) (registrty cleanup, defreagment, ect.)
Hardware Diagonostics
... and the rest? I have no idea.

ive written an essay and im not sure im explaining it right so heres the deal.

the computer works fine until the day i turn it on and CANNOT get into the log in screen. No operating system LOADS because Disk C and Vista do not show up. its as if Vista is missing but its not bc once i start restarting, command promts, repairs... i EVENTUALLY get to the log in screen and then everything is OK.

so i hope this just just some slight problem i can get FIXED permentaly bc at this point im about ready to give up. i cannot keep dealing with this one problem, even thoug im getting faster at fixing it by doing random things. its beyond frustrating and i am seriously going to throw this comp out the window if this keeps happening...

ARRRR.... sowwie for the Rant... the long essay rant. :)

Hope someone out there in the internet universe can help me out and make it all better :)

Thanks a Bunch!

LaLa

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Your fix - clean install of Vista, not upgrade.

BTW...
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")

LaLa ALa

LaLa ALa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:/ i was afraid of that suggestiong. a clean install... id actually have to backup ALL my files LOL.

do you know what the problem might be thou?

heres the info... thanks for letting me kno how to get at it :)

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
Memory: 2037 MB
System: 32-bit Operating System

Hard Disk Drives:

C: 163 GB free of 288 GB
D: 1.89 free of 9.99 GB

:)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Specs are good.

I can't answer your question, but I can assure you, that during an upgrade all kind of bad things may happen.

LaLa ALa

LaLa ALa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Specs are good.

I can't answer your question, but I can assure you, that during an upgrade all kind of bad things may happen.

i didnt do an upgrade. i bought a whole new system. my old one is on the floor collecting dust. LoL.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Oh, I see.
Did you test hard drive?

gumby701

gumby701

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Maybe the boot order of your hard drives has changed.

LaLa ALa

LaLa ALa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Oh, I see.
Did you test hard drive?

umm... how do i test my hard drive?

LaLa ALa

LaLa ALa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Maybe the boot order of your hard drives has changed.

how do i check that?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I asked about testing hard drive, because you said, you did some hardware diagnostics.
To test the HD: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

gumby701

gumby701

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
It would be in the BIOS, under boot options or soemthing of the sort. Be careful!

LaLa ALa

LaLa ALa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks guys! ill check it out.

LaLa ALa

LaLa ALa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So I ran the HD diagnostics and checked the BIOS and well I'm having a Dell Tech come by this week.

Turns out I do have a HD problem. I knew this for a while but it was always workable. But now I'm having even MORE boot problems and cant even get anywhere NEAR my OS.

Time to give up and call in a professional.

Good Luck to me.

THanks guys for the help! :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good :)
Thanks for posting back.