Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Issue: Laptop making "guitar" noise

• Please log in to reply

Xales

Xales

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey y'all, me again with another question, this time about my personal laptop. It's an HP Pavillion dv6000 Entertainment PC running Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1. Hope that's all the specs I need to post. Now for the problem.

Normally my laptop runs sound just fine, however I have been having instances when I am playing music I have on my computer. I could be in the middle of China Roses by Enya when all of a sudden I get this weird sound. The best way to describe the noise is one strum of an electric guitar. Sometimes it happens when I am playing my music and multitasking with my laptop, sometimes it happens when my laptop is sitting on my desk and it's only playing my music, and sometimes it happens when I'm typing in word or doing an internet search and Windows Media Player isn't even open.

I just want to know what's up before I go take it anywhere and try to convince people it's making an electric guitar strum sound. To answer any questions about if I have an electric guitar, the answer is no, and an electric guitar has never been plugged into my laptop. It's not even a year old, maybe 6 months and though it's been dropped one time, it was making this random noise before it fell.

So, anyone have any idea what's up? Or does my laptop believe it should have been born an electric guitar? :)

Advertisements

Xales

Xales

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, just wanted to post to let you guys know I figured out the issue. My laptop doesn't have identity issues, I just have funky friends.

What happened was I had turned off all my sounds for AIM but didn't turn off the sounds for logging on and off. All but one of my friends it seems kept the default log in and out sounds. My one friend edited his to the electric guitar strum sound I was hearing. Since I had turned off my pop-up notifications, I never put two and two together to make four.

I learned what had happened when I was in the car with him and a few other friends and a song by Creed was playing. All of a sudden I heard the exact same sound my laptop kept making and freaked out because I had explained the problem to my friends, but none of them could help me. This was when my one friend who had messed with his sounds looks at me and says "Oh...that's my log in and out sound. Sorry."

Sooooooo...........yeah, problem solved. :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
China Roses by Enya - nice song, btw :)